• In the Spotlight:

Was I too harsh w/her??

My mother has been depressed for a long time now,she's getting evicted,and got denied for SSI.She has always been depressed,for as long as I can remember,even before all this.She was given a num. to Mental health by a friend and I encoureged her to try it.She won't call,she says she's too down @ it.I told her that was a lousy excuse,that she won't get better if she doesn't seek help.She gets upset w/me and my sister if we don't take our depressant meds!Now she is upset with me and won't talk to me,cause I voiced my opinion,I told her I want her to get better,and be happier!!So,was I too harsh with her,and why doesn't she practice what she preaches to me and my sister?

momz1970

Asked by momz1970 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• you were fine. I suffer from depression. It's not easy to go through it but it is cyclical so the worst of this cycle will be over soon and she might be more receptive to getting help

Answer by admckenzie at 11:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My mom is the same and if anyone says anything about it it might as well be then end of the relationship.. But no matter how mad it makes her I bring it up again...she actually made a call finally. next step is convincing her to go
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• hey its the hard truth shell need to learn to live with it. she needs to do something for herself to get better and if she doesnt understand that then she can be miserable. you had all the right to say that she needs to do it.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depression....that's why!

She is one of the depressed that has to have someone actually call and make appointments and pick her up and take her and take her home again. Go over and make sure she takes her medication everyday (or have some close friend or husband do this!)

Seriously...this is a symptom of severe clinical depression. She really IS too tired to do it herself.

She needs more than words for help. She needs action.
    Anonymous

• I live in Oklahoma and can't take her to do what she needs,I wish I could,that's what it took for me and my sister.We both have depression,and my sister is a scyhsophrenic( not sure how to spell that)She lives in California.How long will she be pissed at me?
    momz1970

Answer by momz1970 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Because she is DEPRESSED!!!! She wants to make sure your sister and you don't go through what she is going through. Find someone that can TAKE her to her appointments, make them for her and make sure she goes and takes her meds. But be warned, you cannot help someone that isn't ready to be helped.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• you have to show some tough loive to get people to maybe wake up. she just wants sympathy and she failed with you. you have to keep up with your feelings towards her getting help.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Some times tough love is the only way to go.IF she is not wanting to seek help then there is nothing you can do.You have a life to live and if she doesnt want to get better why drag yourself down with her.
    sonnyswoman75

Answer by sonnyswoman75 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If she is truely suffereing from mental illness her ability to recognize her problem might be compensated. Getting angry will not help her understand her situation or appeal to her sense of responsibility to you. Speak to her calmly and get help for her. Take her into the necessary care facility. Sometimes it takes an outside person not so personally involved to strike a chord with someone.
    2bennettmom

Answer by 2bennettmom at 12:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2009