thumb sucking

My daughter is 2 years old, she has been sucking her thumb since she was about 6 months old. I was wondering will she grow out of this or should I start encouraging her to quit. She generally does it when she is falling asleep, bored in the car or meeting new people.

jjspringer

Asked by jjspringer at 11:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did it from the time she was just a few months old until she started kindergarten. She pretty much outgrew it. Thank goodness...

But beware...I work with a 30-something year old guy who still sucks his thumb (I kid you not!!!). He does it when he's looking at his computer screen and reading or thinking. I've passed him in his car and he even does it when he's driving!!!! LOL
    Cantstandya

Answer by Cantstandya at 11:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I would just let her grow out of it on her own. My DD will be 2 in november and has been sucking her thumb since she was 3 weeks old. She as well only sucks her thumb when she goes to bed or is tired. Getting her to stop is going to be hard because you can't take her thumb away. It is attached. LOL,
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i started wen i came out of my moms stomach i was sucking my thumb she tried everything to get me to stop did not help but they will stop by thier selfs and if you are going somewhere and you do not want her sucking her thumb put reagular fingernail polish on both thumbs and the taste is nasty so they want suck thier thumb~
    Anonymous