tell me what good and bad customer service is:

I am currently getting my MBA and I am writing a book about customer service to assist owners and managers with good customer service skills and how to teach their employees those skills.

I would love any input about customer service you may have to stories of good and bad customer service. Also, if you received bad customer service; please tell me what they could have done to improve it. I do not require the names of the stores due to legal issues.

If you choose, I can put your first name, last initial, city and state into the book. If not, I will gladly put annonymous on the story for your privacy. I can also just place specified information in the book such as: annonymous, Ft. Worth, Texas. I think you get the idea.

Thanks, Heather

Jackson888

Asked by Jackson888 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Shopping

• well i used to manage in a store. for us as long as the customer left happy we would bend over backwards. there was a time a woman bought something for her baby while preg, she washed it and put it away. came back months later after having the baby, lost the receipt and it was selling for .50, however the reason she brought it back was b/c it was a pair of footsie jammies, one of the feet was backwards. we exchanged it for her no cost, (she should have gotten a .50 credit towards the other one however b/c of the fact that it was a bad product i gave her a new one no cost to her) she came back every week after that to go shopping, before that she was not a regular customer. she said she only came back b/c she knew if something was wrong w/something we would take care of it for her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We went to a restaurant, been there a few times before usually with large parties we brought in. We got food to go. The girl was having trouble with my card and kept swiping it. I asked her to make sure that it wasn't going to take every time she swiped it. She told me it only took once, no problem. I checked my bank account and every swipe went through. I called the manager and he told me no problem, the extra swipes would disappear after midnight. Well three days went by and I finally called again since they was still on my account. It took two weeks for them to finally get them fixed. Never got a sorry. All the swipes made my checking go in the negative. It was a nightmare. Still never got a sorry out of them. Most the time they made it out like I did something wrong. Worst customer service ever. I walked by a few months later during lunch hour. 1 customer and that was it. Apparently others have had problems with them.
    Anonymous

• Being greeted by an employee and asked what I am looking for is a HUGE thing for me. My husband and I both work in or have worked in sales and know to NEVER pre-judge a customer based on how they look, speak, or dress. We may be out to make a very significant purchase and if we are ignored or treated rudely we will leave and take our business elsewhere. We have done this many many times. My husband knows better than to not greet someone because they may look broke or like a window shopper.. He has had customers come in in dirty clothes with cow manure on their boots and pay $30,000 in cash for a new car. I imagine sometimes when we are out shopping for furniture or a computer or something and we are dressed in jeans and t shirts an employee may ASSUME that we have not money or have bad credit. If we are not greeted or helped, we take our business somewhere else and never return to the other place.
    Anonymous

• I've worked in Customer Service for a long time. With every customer, I greeted them and asked if they found everything alright. Now when I go through check out, I expect the cashier to do the same. Some of them don't and I find that very rude.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• PLease come back and check on me.Even if I say that I do not need your help at that moment. I often find myself needing someone later and often cannot find anyone. Please do not pester me every 2 sec. or follow me around like you are my shadow. PLease have an employee in every department or in the department next to it, I really do not wnat to wait 1/2 an hour for someone. PLease have some samples of some of the more popular items. I really want to try the New Beetles Guitar Hero that is coming out, but how can I if your guitar controller doesn't work? I really want to see the tv on. I want to know if a movie is worth watching or if a product is junk so make sure employees in their department knows what about the products. PLease do not tell me I have too much stuff to go through self check out, when there is no maximum. I am trying to save the cashiers alot of grief with my 3-4 differant checkout orders.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Make sure you are well stocked. Also make sure the shelves do not look like a hurricna hit them. Be friendly. I know you have bad days but I did not make you have it and if you explain why you are in a bad mood I will understand.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have a long career in retail under my belt. For me, good customer service is ackowledging the customer and letting them know that I am there to help. I will help in a number of ways. I currently work in a children's clothing store and I have been known to do everything from chase a kid down to hold a crying baby while mom shops. (Ok, actually, I "steal" the babies from the moms...I just like to hold them...LOL! And the moms love it because the baby is entertained and they get to shop without worry. Plus, I get my baby fix!) I always ask my customers if they are looking for something specific. If I don't have it, I do something really strange...I tell them the name of another store that might! I make it a point to know about my product...what it is, how it's made, how it's supposed to look, the care instructions. And I stand by it. I have 3 kids that wear nothing but the clothes my company sells...
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• So, I can give honest opinions...and I do.

"Yes, my son has those shorts...he loves them!"

"Oh, my daughter had those shoes and they rubbed a blister on her foot."

"These pants are great, but they run a little big so I had to buy my son a smaller size...maybe you should try that as well."

Also, we try to get to know our customers and their kids. I have been watching many of these same kids grow up for the last 3yrs that I've worked there. I congratulate them on good grades...sympathize with them on illnesses...cry with mom when her 'baby' has outgrown the toddler sizes and must move up to the big kid sizes. I simply treat my customers like I would want to be treated when in a store. When I'm talking to them, I'm not the sales associate...I'm just another mom with 3 kids to clothe. That's the attitude I use and they appreciate that. And it makes me love my job!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I went to a bead store with the intention of making several bracelets as gifts. I went on my lunch break. I work in an office and was professionally dressed. This was my first trip to this store. When I walked in I noticed bins and bins of beads. I also noticed a woman behind the counter talking to another customer. At this point we were the only two in the store. She did not break her conversation with the other customer to even aknowledge me. After I walked by her several times, I noticed that they were just gossiping and not talking at all about business. Still she didn't aknowledge me. Then, another cutomer walked in and she greeted her and asked if she could help her. I then moved over by the cash register as if to purchase something. She still made no attempt. Finally after tapping a pen on the counter for about a minute she looked at me and asked if I needed something - I replied "no, not now" and walked out
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 1:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• what could she have done differently? She could have aknowledged me when I walked in. At that point I would have told her I planned on spending a lot of money in her store. I call this my "Pretty Woman" story. I have never been treated so badly in a store. By the way, this was a white woman and I am a white woman so it wasn't a racial issue. I probably would have thought she was just a lousy sales person but when the next customer walked in, she talked to them. I know she saw me too because at one point I looked in a bin right by her and the other woman.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 1:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2009