How could anyone think it's okay to smoke or do drugs while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't smoke, but from what I've read on here I don't think that the smoker mommies think it's "ok" to smoke while prego. I think it's just really hard to quit. I think they try to quit but just can't.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 11:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The addiction is doing the thinking.
    Anonymous

• Amen! I adopted both of my kids, whose birthmothers used meth during their pregnancies. They can't change what has already happened, but it makes me mad that women do things like that while pregnant. I'd like to plant a boot somewhere on the bozo who sells drugs to an obviously pregnant woman.
    Anonymous

• i found out i was pregnant when i was 5 weeks along..so that was 5 weeks of me smoking while pregnant..and then it took me 2 weeks to finally quit..so a total of 7 weeks..but it wasnt enjoyable at all!! everytime i lit one up i was apologizing to my tummy. and besides that, my dr told me that depending on how stressed out ya get when you are trying to quit, she said that causes stress, so its almost safer to continue smoking, then it is to quit and go thru the stress..but, i didnt believe that..so i quit! as for drugs..thats just wrong..so is smoking..and so is drinking!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• A better question would be:

"How could anyone think it's okay to smoke or do drugs while BREASTFEEDING?"

Anonymous

• Some women struggle with addictions. Will YOU be the first to cast a stone?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Its an addiction. It took me a week to stop smoking after i learned i was pregnant and i felt horribly guilty. For others, its harder. Im not saying its right, though. But sometimes is hard. I'd rather see a woman smoking, than drinking and getting drunk. If they get drunk, god forbid something happens and they get in an accident and the baby dies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• not that it's right (and i def don't agree), but if a mom smokes while breastfeeding, she can at least time it so baby has minimal exposure. it is better to smoke and breastfeed than to smoke and give formula. imo, almost all smokers are very selfish. i was a smoker and quit after finding out i was pregnant (wasn't planned, if i was ttc i wouldn't have been smoking). i smoked for over 15 years, and between 1-2 packs/day, but i refused to risk harming my baby. that would be terribly wrong! it all comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice for the life you created, carry, give birth, and care for. some women are just weak and selfish.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'd like to cast that stone at the woman's head who thinks its ok to get pregnant when you have a drug addiction. They make birth control for a reason if you can't keep your legs shut when your high. I have more tolerance for those who smoke, say I have a double standard, but a baby born form a mother who smokes has a higher survival rate and better chance at life then the baby born addicted to crack. It's all wrong, but the world is not black and white and there are some wrongs worse then others. If you have a drug addiction and you quit when you find out your pregnant I have mucho respect but when you continue shooting up knowing your pregnant you deserve more then one stone cast your way.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009