question about labor

im full term and i should be going into labor anytime later this week or next however, i want to know what are some of the things that nobody really tells you about labor or just the visit in the hospital because i know there is always something someone never gave you heads up about?

RIP.Caleb

Asked by RIP.Caleb at 11:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Make sure to bring a blanket from home because the maternity ward is always freezing cold and the blankets they provide wont keep you warm after you deliver. And if you are taking a digital camera with you dont forget extra batteries!!!! Good luck and bless you and your little one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I will tell you this....every birth is different...and your biggest fears will most likely never be realized.

When I was at my due date....I watched our minature wire terrier give birth to 9 puppies...NINE. It may sound strange, but I took great comfort from this. I thought ..surely if that lil tiny pup can give birth...alllllll alone to NINE puppies....I can manage ONE baby! LOL

We can calm our nerves by looking around at all of the healthy babies born each and every day.

Hope that helps! :) A great book to have is "What to expect when you are expecting" ..it is really informative...and the follow up book..."What to expect the first year " is great!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i actually LOVED my hospital room freezing, i was SO HOT from the hormonal change and stuff.

bring and ipod or something to listen to some music if you want.
    Braids in your hair are amazing. my hair looked like a HUGE birds nest after i had my daughter, and my mom brushed my hair out and put them in braids, it helped alot to keep my hair out of my eyes and stuff.
    if you feel like you need some rest, let a nurse know or something and theyll tell visitors that you need to rest so you dont sound mean or anything. i didnt do that until the last day, and i regreted it. i was EXHAUSTED! but i also loved having all of my visitors come too....
    if you feel like you are in pain, dont hesitate to ask for something to relieve the pain, dont try to be tough about it, take them and youll feel so much better. try getting up and walking when you are ready to, youll feel great. have the nurses help you shower if you
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• want to, youll feel SO much better and fresh!
    oh and another thing, after you give birth, you lose all modesty in the hospital LOL.. at least I DID...
    i didnt care who was around or what they were doing to me down there.. i was so sleepy lol..

best of luck girl!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Birth can be an amazing experience. I was scared of the pain but no one told me just how amazing and enjoyable the experience could be if I put it in my mind that it would be.

Also I would HIGHLY suggest looking up the most routine interventions because they may not seem like a big deal to the staff but they can change your birth forever! Become educated on them and decide what you will and will not have.

Also know that YOU are in charge! You do NOT check ownership to your body at the door and you CAN make decision for yourself whether hospital policy says so or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The thing that was not told to me and that I wish someone had said was about the BM. I had no clue that this was normal during birth and was so embarrassed. Just something to give you a head's up about! Enjoy your little one!
    HallBunch

Answer by HallBunch at 12:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Bring your fuzzy slipper socks and dont forget to breath. dont concentrate on the contractions but what they are doing and that is to bring your bundle into the world. Anyone with a weak stomach dont want to see the actual birth because your vargina makes some interesting transformations. I walked with my husband all the while I was in labor and had amazing conversations. We have 4 amazing kids the natural way.
    jjross

Answer by jjross at 1:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Bring your own pillow or blanket, something to make it feel like home (I have a pillow that I took to both of my births, no worries, it stayed at my head.lol). Make sure you have a list of numbers to call for afterwards. YOU are in charge, don't let anyone tell you differently. No matter how you plan the birth, expect some changes, as it won't always go your way. Be prepared for LOTS of bleeding. If you tear or need a "snip" to get the baby out, make sure to ask for antiseptic spray that also numbs (I can't remember the name, but you can get it at walmart and CVS too). Bring different size clothing, as ultrasounds can't guarantee the baby's size. Perhaps tour your hospital prior to labor, so that you know where things are, like the cafeteria or gift shop. The room gets boring after a few days. Anything else, just PM me.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Bring some kind of snack or something to eat because I was sick through the whole labor vomiting with every contraction even after the epidural and then after I delivered I was STARVING and it was 11pm and I couldn't get food in the hospital my poor DH had to leave to go get me some food.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 5:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009