son with a temper

My son is 11 months and when he gets mad he hits his head on stuff... is that normal??? should I let it be or punish him some how? He is already throwing tantrums and I was wondering if this is normal. This is my first child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would redirect him when he starts doing this. Try to get him to do something else rather than self inflicted pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree... he's probably frustrated about something. They have a hard time expressing themselves. Definitely DO NOT punish him, he's not doing anything wrong, just try and redirect him as much as you can (btw I have a very determines 12 month old who gets frustrated very easily so I identify).
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• He'll get mad when I take stuff from him or tell him he cant do something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Mine rages too and I thought it had something to do with my raging temper (especially while preggers). He gets angry when I tell him no and he digs his nails into my skin or he hits me. He's 14 months and he's been like that ever since I can remember (raging when he doesn't get his way that is). He'll grab something and throw it down or slam it, so I understand. I have no idea what to do, though.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• yea my son gets mad when i take stuff from him too and he's younger. he rips my lips or whatever he can grab onto. but he smiles. ...he thinks its funny.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The most important thing is- try NOT to react to these fits of temper. It's not easy, but he won't cause himself that much pain. At 11 mos old, there's not much you can do and punishment won't work!! The best thing is to ignore this behavior and talk to him when it's over. They learn quickly how to push your buttons. There are a few lines you should draw however - NEVER allow him to hit or throw toys. I used to keep a little boy who, I was warned, would throw a fit if he didn't get his way. The FIRST time he did it - I took him in the bedroom and told him VERY CALMLY, AND SWEETLY, "this is where little boys go to cry and throw fits at my house. Cry as long as you want and when you're all done, you come out and we'll play". Guess how long he stayed in there? No audience - no tantrum! Be calm -pretend if necessary -and walk away or this may continue as he gets older. If it becomes more serious, talk to your doctor.
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2009