Sleeping on my back?

Okay I am in my 17th week of pregnancy. I've heard that sleeping on your back can cause the baby harm. Well, I try hard to sleep on my sides, it takes forever to get to sleep because they are a little sore. Also I wake up many times a night on my back, I quickly get on my side and try to reposition myself so that maybe I won't wake up on my back. I constantly fight myself. What am I to do? What should I do? Has it already harmed my baby? What could it do to my baby (can it kill my DD or DS?)

heathertilton08

Asked by heathertilton08 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• NO it will not kill him/her it just hurts you not them. It hurts you because they fall back into your tummy onto your nerves. until your bigger when there is little room for him/her to move and they dont want to be on your boney spine. You can try sleeping with a pillow between your legs and pressed slightly on your tummy thats comfy for me! Im 19 1/2 weeks so I know how you feel!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I never heard anything about hurting the baby, but i know the baby can put pressure on your diaphram and lungs as it grows, making it hard to breathe.

If i got that wrong, correct me someone.

Sleeping on your belly could harm the baby though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• GL!
    Alysia_Moore

• sleeping on your left side is best to increase your blood flow. sleeping on your back cuts off certain veins and restricts blood flow. and sleeping on your tummy puts way too much pressure on your uterus. i think the right side is okay to sleep on, but i read that the left is best. i know it sux, im 23 weeks. i prop myself up with pillows, if you put one behind you it keeps you from rolling onto your back.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• don't worry about it, I would wake up on my back all the time. Just roll over onto your side and soon enough your belly will be so big that you wont be rolling over on your back in your sleep anymore. The most it does it labor your breathing....
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 2:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It's all about blood flow, there is a main artery that when you sleep on your back the weight of the baby reduces the blood flow through that artery.  You are OK now, but by around 28 weeks when the baby gets bigger you may notice this more.  I kept ending up on my back just like you but now I'm 29 weeks and I will wake up if I roll on my back.

MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 5:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Babycenter.com has some things about sleeping positions under pregnancy. It cuts blood flow to ur legs and then to ur heart. So yes its bad don't listen to anyone who says its ok they probably didn;t read up on it, I did. This is my third baby.
    Anonymous