breastfeeding after a year...

i asked this in a couple of the groups i'm in and got some great responses. just looking for more info, tips, tricks, stories, etc.. what can i expect during this next year, what were your experiences, any words of wisdom, and/or any good stories? looking forward to another wonderful year breastfeeding. tia ladies! (we will hit our one year milestone on june 27, i'm very proud of that!)

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Congrats on making this wonderful decision. I nursed my first to 18 months and he weaned while I was pregnant with #2. The second one is still going strong at 25 months. After a year there isn't much difference except they gradually just start to nurse less often. Both of my kids around 18 months started sleeping through the night except when they got their 2 year molars in. My oldest went through a nursing strike for about a week and I hear that is more common as they get older. My current has not done that yet though. Just keep offering if you want to continue. You will have your days where you want to quit, but just keep plugging on. As for the negative comments whenever someone looks at me and says "you are still nursing?" I just matter of factly reply yes and that is usually the end of it. I found that if I explained things too much then I would get MORE flack about it and if I just said yes they left it alone.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• With my little one, she was ready to eat at 6 mo. It's up to them when they're ready for solid food. If she still wanted to BF at 1 YO I would've started to ween. Just place solid food, like macaroni or something else that's not hard to chew and see what happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ive only been breastfeeding for four months lol, but my sister nursed up to 18 months, and one thing she told me... is if anyone says anything negative about you breastfeeding past a year, ignore them. be proud that you are still breastfeeding. (seems like you are proud though)

best wishes!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• anon, she eats food. did you read my question? i'm not going to wean her, she will do that when SHE is ready. i was looking for advice from other breastfeeding moms. you are obviously not one of them. thanks for your input anyway.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well...it wasn't that different from year one. With the exception of having more teeth, which he never used!

There were days when he wasn't all that interested. But honestly, that was about it.

Nursed to 26 months. With plenty of solids too.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• thanks MomNbaby...best wishes to you too, and happy breastfeeding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sometimes it seems like they will want to nurse a ton, and other days hardly at all. I nursed my second child until he was almost 3, and I am still nursing my 20mo. old. Eventually, they get down to nursing just a couple of times per day/night. They still eat plenty of food and drink from a cup just fine. ;)
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Good for you!!! The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 11:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Rock on, nursing mama! That is impressive. I quit at 1 yr because he was SO hungry all the time and I couldn't keep up with production/pumping at work. Before I get bashed, he was eating solids.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009