Does anyone know what the law is for pumping breastmilk at work (in Tennessee)?

I've tried searching it online, but nothing is updated enough. I know you're allowed to breastfeed in public, but is your employer required to give you additional break time to pump your milk?

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Current Federal Anti-Descrimination laws do NOT protect nursing mothers in any way. New legislation before Congress would, indeed, protect mothers who pump milk or breast feed while at work. Right now, unless you can do it on your regular breaks and lunch time - you have no Federal backing. It would be nice if you had a boss who understood. But, I guess they have to consider that other employees to do not get that extra time - so why should they give it to you. I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT THINKING - but this is how most of them look at it. Breast feeding is not going to last forever - so why not make arrangements for women to need to pump milk at work. It's not such a big deal. For the time being, however, unless you have a super understanding management - you're out of luck as far as Federal support.
    God Bless you - I wish you the best with this problem.
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 4:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't know but I think a good place to look is in the labor laws for your state. Should be in or around the section regarding maternaty leave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• if you don't KNOW, then please don't answer, thanks.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have never heard of anyone getting extra brakes to pump. Most laws just cover that a break must be provided.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think ANON gave you a REALLY good suggestion. Go try looking it up! You might be suprised and find the answer yourself rather than just be rude when people try to help.

And NO you aren't entitled to extra breaks.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 2:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You said if i dont know then not answer but just cuz i dont know doesnt mean i dont know where you can get the information. I had this issue as well just in another state. Call you local WIC clinic they will be able to give you the answer you need and maybe even a brochure to give the employer. I'm not on WIC and they helped me with my issues here in Colorado so I'm sure that even if you are not a WIC client they will be happy to help.
    mommyof3nluvnit

Answer by mommyof3nluvnit at 2:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If ur given any normal breaks then u have to use them to to pum
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Most states have a mandatory minimum break that you have to get depending on how many hours you work that day. That is all your employer HAS to give you and they do NOT have to provide you anywhere private to pump, a bathroom is considered sufficient. That being said most employers will work with you and at least try to arrange somewhere a little better then a bathroom in my experience. I am salary so I was pretty much told as long as I made the time up I could take as much as I needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009