Seperation anxiety at 3 months?

Last week my 3 month old baby all of the sudden decided she wont let anyone hold her but me and her father (sometimes). Is this normal? I have been looking up seperation anxiety online and I keep finding that it shouldn't occur until 8 months. How can I get my baby to be comfortable with other people so that I can have a break? She has been around people everyday since birth so I am very suprised that she is not comfortable with others.

Chickiebabe151

Asked by Chickiebabe151 at 1:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe its only temporary, maybe she isn't feeling well? My daughter has weird days/weeks when something she loves suddenly pisses her off, lol. Or vice versa. Sometimes she is clingy, sometimes she can't wait to get away from me. Usually there is something to it - not feeling well, not enough sleep, constipation, etc. But there are times that I have no explanation for her moods... just being a baby I guess. I hope she gets over whatever it is so you get a break - I know how you feel. My hubby has been working overtime, so even if the baby doesn't want me, I am all she's got, lol. And I am exhausted!!! Good luck :)
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 2:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Maybe she is in a wonder week??? Google it to find out. It can be linked to them not feeling well etc and will usually pass. My DD is 4 months and is fine as long as I am in her vision otherwise she will scream. Think of it positively. You are the most amazing person and all she wants is you. If you give her what she needs it tends to pass quicker in my experience.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 2:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well ,i'm going through the same here lol. Check here gums cuz mine is starting to teeth so she has a fever all most everyday so as some one said she might not feel good cuz my daughter wants no one at all but me so yea feel her gums

cassie1989b

Answer by cassie1989b at 2:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I was thinking it might be temporary; I sure hope. Don't get me wrong, I am flattered but I need a break. It's hard enough as it is with her dad on a firefighters schedule (gone 3 days, home 4). I was having someone come over and hold her for a bit here and there so I could get some stuff done but I guess that is out the window. The second she cries everyone gives her right back as if she has the black plauge or something.
    As far as not feeling well - she seems fine. She did have a hoarse voice last week and I did think she wasnt feeling well and that was why. Could be still. But she is as happy as a clam as long as no one else is holding her.

Mummylovebaby - I was reading that if your baby notices you gone it is called "object permenence" something that does not usually occur until 8 months. You probably have a smart baby! :)
    Chickiebabe151

Answer by Chickiebabe151 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• This is a bit odd for one so young, but if she's doing it ,then you have to deal with it. What does she do if you give her to someone she knows and you are NOT in her view? When they're this young, you can't do much but keep trying to get her to allow others to hold her - even if for a few minutes. Give her to someone else and leave the room. If she gets REALLY upset, give her just a minute before you come back. Daddy needs to try taking her outside - out of site of Mommy. At this age, they become aware of just who Mommy is and she is very attached to you - perfectly normal, but you don't want to be the only one to hold her either. So, keep trying to let someone else hold her - as often as possible. Don't take her the second she cries - but don't let her get too upset, either. This is rare at such a young age. She's just very bonded to you but she should be letting Daddy hold her so keep trying. THIS TOO SHALL PASS!
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2009