my 5 year old daughter has a fever of 101.6

she went to water park with day care and came back at lunch. went straight to sleep and sleep most of day. i gave her tylenol and did not work. she i talk her to hospital?

crazymom412

Asked by crazymom412 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can make sure she gets plenty of fluids. If she needs the rest , let her take it. Maybe try to switch to motrin, i find that it works much better. I would give it another day, as long as the temp. doesn't get higher. To help , you could also give her a luke-warm bath....(not cold). It helps to bring down temperatures.If your really worried, can the doctor and see what he/she, recommends.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ohh & hope the little one feels better soon... :)
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i dont think so. But then again, i'm not a freak about fevers. just monitor her closely. make sure she's drinking her fluids. a luke warm bath might be a good idea. Remember that a fever is the bodies way of fighting off illness, if you try to stop it you may prolong whatever bug her body is trying to fight.
    BUT if it gets higher then 102 i WOULD take her in. JMHO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• lol. apparenty the PP and i think the same way.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would call her doctor first. It sounds like maybe an ear infection? Keep giving her motrin or Tylenol, plenty of fluids and rest til you can get into see the doctor. Like the mom's before me mentioned, if it gets above 102, then ya, take her in.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Motrin works better at reducing fever than Tylenol. You can also rub her down with a damp cloth (luke warm, not cold).

I wouldn't go to ER unless her fever got higher or unless she showed some symptoms that seemed to go beyond a normal bug.

My DD runs super high temps. She runs around 105 with colds. The last virus she had, she ran 106.7. I called the dr and he told me to rotate Tylenol and Motrin and to continue with the damp cloth rubs. He said when he gets concerned is when the fever doesn't respond to these tactics. I could rub her with a damp cloth and her temp would go from 106.7 to 104.2 and he said that was a good sign. He said it'd be worse for her temp to be at 102 and not respond to any fever reducing methods than to be 106.7 and drop some when I do things to lower it.

Unless she seemed out of it, had extreme symptoms, or a seizure, I wouldn't take her to the ER without talking to the dr first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would not take her to the emergency room the won't do anything you cannot do at home. Rotate Tylenol and Motrin and give lots of fluids. If the child is not better after a couple days see the doctor. Fevers are the bodys way to fight infections so don't try to knock it all the way out and let it do its job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• How is she feeling today?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• A fever of 101.6 does not need to be treated. A fever this low (under 102) is her body's way of getting better. When you take the fever away, you make it harder for her to get well.

If the fever gets over 102, give medicine or other treatments to bring it back below 102.

If the fever gets over 103 for 3 days in a row - even if it keeps coming down with medicine - take her to the doctor.

If the fever gets over 104 and won't come down with treatment - take her to the doctor.

If the fever gets over 105 - take her to urgent care.

Avoid the ER if possible. ER's are for emergencies. A fever is not an emergency unless the child is having a seziure. They will put you at the bottom of the list since they take the sickest peopel first. You will sit in a germy waiting room with your slightly sick child for hours before you are seen.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009