Why can't I loose weight while breastfeeding?

I have been breastfeeding for 3 months and I am having the most difficult time dropping even 1 pound. I have been eatign right and exercising and counting every calorie but still nothing lost.

Did anyone else have this problem while breastfeeding? If so, when did the weight start to come off? Was there any special trick?

Chickiebabe151

Asked by Chickiebabe151 at 2:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I started doing yoga and the weight didn't really start coming off til 6mos. Check out Tracy Anderson post pregnancy workout DVD. No matter what..You'll burn more calories BFing.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• wow i i always thought that if you breastfeed you dont gain weight..i'm still breastfeeding my 22months dughter and eat and eat all day long n nite hehe ands i dont gain a pound still 130 and i'm 5'3 so i always thought it was becuz i was breastfeeding ....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I gained 24 pounds while I was pregant and it was gone in 7 weeks, or so. I breastfed (23 months), ate right and continued doing the preganacy workout (Kathy Smith) that I had done for the previous 8 months (or so).
    I would start with simple changes.
    Walk, or do other execise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day
    Replace meat and dairy with beans, lentils and tofu (all loaded with calcium and iron). Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with an iron source (like kale or beans) to increase the absorption of the iron

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have 4 kids. With each one when they hit 6 months old, my weight was gone. I breast fed anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months & did not really exercise. Your body will hold on to some of the weight while you breast feed but don't stop just because of that....the weight will go away quicker because of it once you are done.
    missamerica1

Answer by missamerica1 at 6:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Maybe you're eating too little? If you're taking in fewer calories than your body needs to produce milk you're probably slowing down your metabolism. This is why virtually every diet plan says not to use it when pregnant or BF. Your body needs extra calories to make milk!

My advice? Stop counting calories, that's just going to drive you crazy. Exercise in moderation, drink plenty of water, eat a well-balanced diet with a little room for goodies, get plenty of rest (easier said than done right?) and don't obsess over calories, the scale, or how long it takes to lose weight. (Your clothes are a better indicator than the scale anyway.) Be patient with your body and be good to yourself, and if you're like me you will naturally lose the excess. Everyone is different, but I followed this approach and lost 50 lbs in 6 months and have kept it off for a year now. Best of luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 9:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I always heard that it took 4 months of breastfeeding to see results. For me that was the case, when my DD was 4 months old I just started dropping weight and was eating everything in sight and not exercising! Give it some time!
    Anonymous