Which one did your kid/kids do first?

My dd pooped today for the first time on the potty. She's 19 months and has been "telling" me for a few weeks when she has to go so I helped her on the pot. I heard most kids pee before they learn to poop on the potty, is that true? What did your kids do first?? :)

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 4:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine peed first. I've actually heard the opposite - most kids poop first, then learn to pee. During that time, many kids start not wanting to poop on the potty.

And be aware, yes she is telling you she needs to go right now. That won't last much longer. Once the newness and excitment wears off, she'll quickly decide that playing with her toys - even while holding herself to keep from going - is more fun than sitting in the bathroom. It is very, very common for toddlers and preschoolers to ignore the signal their body is sending until it's too late and they wet themselves on the way to the potty.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My 20 month old has done 1 pee in her potty so far - and no poops. She was running around naked one day and grabbed her potty and sat on it - I was surprised, because I hadn't encouraged her to - she just did it herself.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my son has done both on his potty he is 9 3/4 months and i sit him on it first thing in the am, trying to get him used to it
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my son is 23 months he was potty trained almost 3 weeks ago.....he went pee first, and later that day he pooped...i was such a proud mama
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009