• In the Spotlight:

Family road trip...would you take your 18 mo. old and 9 wk old?

My husband has a meeting quite a distance from our home. We decided that we would make it into a quick family getaway to Southern California. We live in the SF Bay Area. Would you take your little ones? I think we have thought of all precautions in this heat, if the minivan just happens to breakdown.

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 5:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just took the babies on a trip from Wa state to Ok last month. They were 13 months and 2 months. They did really well. Some tips that I would give would be travel early while it is cooler and they are still sleepy, bring munchies for the older one( ex. graham crackers) and water, and make frequent stops so they can stretch. Good luck! (;
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 6:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My tip for long trips in the car w/ an 18 mo (my DD is the same age) go to the Dollar Store & buy like 10 things ur LO has never seen before & through - out the trip when they get fussy hand them something new to play with, works good for me. Travel in the morning is another good idea to keep cool & put those shade thingy's over the side windows by the kids to keep the sun out. Have fun :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• we took our son on a road trip from IL to NC when he was 3 months. It was a 12 hour drive and he was awesome. I honest think he cried maybe a total of 1/2 hour on the way and maybe an hour total home.
    thenewmum

Answer by thenewmum at 11:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009