Feeding Question (How much is too much?) 2 month old

I have a 2 months old baby who, in my opinion, seems to be eating an awful lot and almost all the time.

He normally wakes up around 5 or 6 am in the morning and, of course, we start feeding. He takes a 6 ounce at that time. I spend about 45 minutes feeding and burping and in an hour and 15 minutes he is hungry again.

I thought a baby was suppose to eat every 2 to 3 hours? Instead, after I finish feeding him, he cries for more an hour after and so at times, it seems as if all I have time to do is feed him, change his diaper, and then feed again.

He does take about a 2 to 3 hour nap around noon. So, when he wakes up, it starts back up again.

I would say he gets 7 to 8...6 ounce bottles a day and most times still seems hungry. So, roughly that is 42 ounces a day. He is 2 months and weighs roughly 16 pounds. Does anyone know of a chart that would show how much a baby of this age and weight should be eating?

My sister h

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its 2 hrs from the time he starts. but if your really concerned ask is doc. Otherwise he sounds like a healthy baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Try offering him more than 6oz. Go by what he says, not by what you think. Babies don't go by the books. My DS is two months also and he takes 4-6oz every 2-3hrs but that's just him.

At the time in the day when he seems more hungry, try making a full 8oz bottle and see how much of that he'll eat. If he eats it all and doesn't seem hungry again for 3 hours, there's your answer. If I'm wrong, talk to his doctor before you do anything like feeding him cereal (if you think you should do that).
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Every 2-3 hours is good, but I think 6oz is a bit to much.
    LCmommyof2

Answer by LCmommyof2 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I was told in the hospital to feed every 2 to 3 hours, but was just wondering if anyone else was having issues with having to feed almost back to back. I think it is a bit much too, but I have to give it to him when he cries for it. If anyone else has a similar problem and solution, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks for your replies.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 5:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009