how much should you lift while prego?

my son is 22 pounds and i lift him all the time and hold him is that ok/?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know my first preg my OB told me nothing over 20 lbs. At the time I was working and needed to know as we had heavy trays to lift. My son is right now between 25-26 lbs at almost 9 months, and I'm 17 weeks, but I can't NOT carry him LOL. I just try not to use my stomach muscles when I lift him.
    MyJoieDeVivre

Answer by MyJoieDeVivre at 2:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i do the same...i am high risk and supposed to be on bed rest...but i cant deny my son love and attention...my son is 25 pounds and he will be 2 the 13th of next month .....my doc way back at the beginning of my pregnancy he told me not to lift more than 5 pounds....oh yeah....but i couldnt do it....i love my lil man...i think as long as you arent strainng yourself its ok

Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm 31 weeks pregnant and my son is a few months past 2, he's like 32lbs and I pick him up all the time. I haven't been told not to though. I don't think I could refrain from picking him up. Although because he does know how to walk perfectly fine, I don't carry him a lot. I do pick him up for him to see things, to wash his hands and to get him in and out of our truck. I think you should be fine, does it hurt to lift your child?
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 7:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I was always told nothing over the weight of a gallon of milk
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I was told that if u have to strain then not to. All the weight limits vary from person to person bc their muscle structure is different. However, my doc did say that if you have to strain to pick up anything, even slightly, there is a risk of the umbilical cord getting wrapped around the baby's neck and causing fetal distress. So, test each thing you are wanting to pick up before and be careful, lift with your legs, etc. You should be fine if you are already used to lifting him!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2009