Who would you rather see on PA?

I hear a lot of people complaining about others being on PA. Now, would you rather see people abuse the system and LIVE off PA or people such as our military or teachers or government workers (police, EMTs, etc...) on PA to assist in their pay? At least they are working and providing a SERVICE to everyone in return for using Public Assistance. Why is it so bad if a soldier's family is on PA? Yes I do agree, they should get paid more and so should teachers and police officers. But, those people's pay would come out of your tax money too so whether it's PA or a pay raise, you're paying the taxes for these people to supplement their income or to get a raise. What's the difference?

RavnJay

Asked by RavnJay at 7:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesn't really matter to me. As long as they're not abusing the system, I could care less. Some unemployed people aren't abusing the system. I had pregnancy medicaid and was unemployed because nobody would hire a pregnant woman last year (or this year, for that matter). I'm now a SAHM and I still have adult medicaid, but I'm not using any other form of assistance.

People that lie about who they live with or how much money they make disgust me, though. I have a few of them in my own family.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Obviously you are not from New York if you think Police and Teachers are underpaid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm talking about generally police and teacher are under paid. Not specific areas.. MOST Police and Teachers are under paid.
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 8:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Teachers where I grew up make 20k or so starting out and most make less than 30k per year. And really good tenured teachers MIGHT make 35k.

Police, and paramedics where I grew up can start out as low as 15k and make up to 30k or so.

All of these people would qualify for WIC for sure if they have a couple of kids, and possibly other types of assistance as well. Not to mention they qualify for EITC at tax time.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• MOST Police and Teachers are under paid.

When did they get a paycut? most I know are pretty well paid.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• because it is NOT right! Bottom line. PA is stepping stone for people who have temporarily fallen on hard times. If your job doesn't pay you enough to live within your means, then either get a supplemental income in the form of a second job, OR fight for a raise based on your job performance, OR get an entirely NEW job to support yourself.

Teachers can tutor on the side, or take continuing education to bump you up on the pay scale. Police can work details for extra cash. etc. Where there is a will there is a way! People just choose to take advantage.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Um thundernlight- I am not denying people should have a drive to improve their lives. But I find it interesting that you suggest police officers take MORE time away from their family and in the line of fire to do extra jobs. Most I know do and are still underpaid for the service they provide. Furthermore, if we look at the varying salaries in those fields through out the country, would the suggestion be that they simply move to the place that would put them in their desired pay bracket? If they did that, there would be less people who desired to work in areas that were already struggling to pay pd. Then what? Crime rates soar right?

The logic is silly... I get the desire to work for what you have. But the OP has a point. Tax payer money will be spent either way. And most of these programs are designed to meet the needs of those who make so little. What's the problem?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• hey listen. My best friend is a state trooper. He makes decent money. He works time and a half shifts, in miserable conditions to supplement his salary, as he has a wife and two kids at home. If that means he stands on the side of the road monitoring a construction site in the middle of the night on the highway, then that is what he needs to do! You do what you have to do to support yourself. You live your life and are responsible for doing what it takes to make it.

Maybe, just maybe, if people stopped taking advantage of PA, each state WOULD have more money to allocate to underpaid staff.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• What about the military? There isn't anything they can do to up their salary besides be promoted and there has to be a slot to be promoted into before you can just better yourself. Who knows when they will get called in so it's difficult to hold a 2nd job. So are you saying that if they aren't making enough, then people shouldn't join the military?
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 10:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband and I are both teachers in California we make 87k and 89k. We are far from being poor. Depends on where you live. My sister is a teacher in Kansas she make about 36k but she lives very well her husband works and makes a decent living. Cost of living is much lower. I doubt many teachers are on PA same for police. Military I can believe it for those of a lower rank. Once they move up that becomes less and less.

People who are helping themselves should get help if they need it. Those who are simply too lazy to work should get nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009