How many times have you called your child's doctor after office hours?

I did once when he was a few weeks old. I have a friend who does it pretty often, maybe once every few months. I was wondering how often other people call them at night or on weekends.

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I called once after hours when my younger son was a few days old... For my "special one" I have direct lines and email adresses for all of his specialists, and we don't pay attention to office hours! Lol
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Whenever I need to. If it's something that can wait until the morning, then I wait but our peds office has a 24-hr service and the doc on call for the group handles what the nurses cannot so it's not like my doc is getting woken up all night long. KWIM?
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I called a lot when my DD was younger. After so many times of calling & figuring out that all the oncall dr says is well if u want to u can take her to the ER or u can just wait until the clinic opens to make an apt we just stopped. There has only been like twice the on call was actually any help once for my DD's fever & another time in concern to her coldsore outbreak & meds other then that they r of no actual help.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Haven't yet ... he's 1 y/o ... if there is a problem, and it's after hours, I'll go to Urgent Care.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Our pediatrician is a friend (sort of) from church. Dh wanted us to go to her just so we could ask her stuff without having to take our kids in all the time. So if I have a question that isn't urgent I often ask her at church or I've called her a few times. But I think she might be annoyed I can't tell so I've decided not to do that any more, if it's worth taking them in I'll take them in otherwise I won't ask.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think just once or twice!
    Heartlight617

Answer by Heartlight617 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Honestly I have 3 kids ages 11, 2.5, and 18 months, and have never had to call.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I haven't had to...yet....
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I can't count the number of times.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• 3 of my 5 kids were preemies....so lots
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 2:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009