What's your opinion on this new-found quote by Nixon?

"The Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade in January 1973, removing most restrictions on abortion. President Nixon told his special counsel Chuck Colson that even though he believed abortion encouraged permissiveness, it shouldn't always be out of the question.

Nixon said, "There are times when abortions are necessary, I know that, you know that's when you have a black and a white."

Colson: "Or rape."

Nixon: "Or rape." "

As the mother of a half-Hispanic, half-white child, I find it appalling.
Gives me more reason to dislike him.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It was a different time then. I'm not saying that it gives Nixon a total pass, but at that time, attitudes were still slowly starting to change. It WAS unusual (and bothersome to some) to see interracial couples; we don't think a thing of it these days, at least most of us. But things were different then, and you have to consider that when mulling over this quote. I'm sure plenty of our past presidents have said things we'd find appalling today, but were quite the norm when they were in office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Wow. A racist Republican. Shocking! LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Good point, first anon. It was just a huge "HOLY HELL!"-type shock when I first read it. But the more I thought about it, the more I understood what you were saying. He was president in the 60's right? Or the 70's? Oh I dunno. I was born in the late 80's.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• There are many,many people who still think the way Nixon said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I know, isn't it sad? I live in the south, and sometimes I'm scared to walk around town with my fiance and our daughter. Even though my fiance is "white", he's still Hispanic. Our daughter is white as well, as am I. But if some racist idiot ever overheard him speaking Spanish to someone...I'm scared for our safety.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sure anon :02--so very often I hear people suggesting that bi-racial babies should be aborted. Yep, I hear that every day. I am being sarcastic of course. I think the only place you'll really find anyone with an attitude like that would be way out in the sticks, and then not even everyone in the sticks feels that way. We've come an awful long way in the last few decades--it takes time you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Cait, do you live in a small town? Honestly, I'm in the deep south, and I swear to you, I don't see any of this. My neighborhood--a middle class one--is full of whites, blacks, and hispanics. As a matter of fact, my immediate next door neighbors are a mixed couple (white dad, black mom) and they have a child together. I have never heard any remarks about it, ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

Why does it seem the libs want to call themselves progressive yet when it comes to race they are stuck in the past?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• caitxrawks you always like its such a big deal that you have a mixed child. who cares. your the one who fell in love and had sex with your boyfriend and had a baby. it happens ALL the time. your nothing special. like the pp said. it wasn't "normal" back then like it is today. no reason to get your panties in a bunch.

also i don't even consider a half hispanic half white baby a "mixed" baby. I condsider it american. just about all of us are mixed with something. who cares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Why does it seem the libs want to call themselves progressive yet when it comes to race they are stuck in the past?

Who is stuck in the past? You may also want to look up his comments about women, or PRETTY WOMEN and WHO he made them too..George H. W. Bush....Pretty interesting stuff. You call it teh past but judging from the racist e-mails that have been uncovered and some of the responses here on CM there is noting PAST about it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009