SAHM is this too much.....

I'm a SAHM & ec morning my DD & I wake up do a lil coloring, have breakfast then I put her in the playroom w/ tv on in LR & come to the computer to check the weather, hop on cafemom for a min, check email, then get dressed & ready for day, pick out DD's outfit, etc. Do u think it's bad that I just let her sit in front of the tv while I get a couple of things done & wake myself up a lil more before our day begins? The most tv she watches a day is 1 1/2 hrs in the morning & maybe twice a week I pop in a DVD to help her calm down before bedtime being 30 mins long. I know u "perfect SAHMommies" will bash me by saying thats too much tv ur a bad mom etc. but I'm not asking u I am asking this ? to the SAHM's that r normal like me, doing all the housework, SO at work 60 hrs a wk, not superwomen etc. what do u mom's think? Is this normal do u other moms do things like this?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are doing great. I have two kids. Jacob is 3 years old and Emily is 19 months. They drive me insane sometimes and I am surprised I can get housework done LOL..but I do it everyday and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I have them and myself on a daily routine. we wake up, go potty, watch the mickey mouse club house and Little Einsteins that I recorded the day before. Eat breakfast, go potty, do our 1 hr learning block which they love, creativity time with coloring or painting or playdoh, eat lunch, go potty, take a nap, (then I clean like a maniac on drugs), get up, go potty again, have a snack, watch the Noggin Channel, PBS, Sprout, or a DVD..sometimes they just tell me what they want to watch. I LOVE THE NOGGIN CHANNEL, take a bath, story time, go to bed.I am not a perfect mom, I am a SAHM and I do what works for me and my kids. I also keep two other kids ages 2 1/2 and 7 weeks. The 2 y/o adjusted to the schedule well.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think what you are doing is fine, make sure she is watching something educational, Sesame Street, Dora, etc, but if you can get her occupied for a few minutes so you can get something done, I say go for it. Just don't, at her age, try to leave her alone for more than a few minutes without checking on her.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I dont think its too much TV at all. And, dont ever let anyone tell you that they are perfect, cuz nobody is!
    MommaToSam

Answer by MommaToSam at 8:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You're fine. If it weren't for tv I would never get my homework done, and I do homework for a couple of hours on most days.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• What the heck is she doing watching TV for that long. I mean you said yourself you work 60hours and do house work. so why when you get a chance to spend some time with her are you just letting her stare at the tube?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm honestly not sure why you are asking, bc it sounds like you have already made up your mind with all the disclaimers about "normal moms" lol. But seriously, you know what is best for your daughter... follow your instincts! Moms need breaks too, otherwise we get cranky and emotional and that is not good "quality" time either. Don't let anyone tell you that just bc it doesn't work for their child, that you are a "bad mom" to allow it for yours. Pffft.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Anon-she did not say SHE worked 60 hours she said her SO worked 60 hours. Which means she goes all day with no help...Learn to read and understand.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree with emuu- you've already made up your mind on whats okay and whats not. lol however I don't see anything wrong with letting my son watch tv. We get up in the morning and I turn on play house disney. He loves it and he plays while waching or lays on the couch with me. He still plays all day, we still read, i'm teaching sign language right now. So its not like i'm not making use his little brain.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My kids watch way more then that and I don't have a problem with it. I don't think TV is evil. I have no clue when my 3yo got up but she's been watching TV since then. I got up at 7:30am. She probably got up between 6:30 and 7am.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• :55 re-read the question.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2009