Questions About The Army:

My husband is going from the Marines to the Army and keeping the same job he had in the Corps. The Army is putting him in Cavalry instead of regular infantry and I looked it up online and couldn't find anything that tells me what the difference is. Can someone tell me the difference and please tell me where these units are stationed?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 8:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Units are placed all over the US.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband is a 19D (cavalry scout), so I can help you out a bit.

If he was recon in the Marines, Cavalry will fit him very well. They pretty much have the same jobs and training.

Here's some information from the Army website about it:

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=39

As far as where they are. They're pretty much everywhere. They can be separate, like we were in the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment or they can be part of any major division like we were part of the 101st Airborne Division before we came to recruiting duty.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a message.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Different branches of the military have different names for things. The marine's infantry may be the army's calvary
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband was infantry and my understanding is that it's the same thing as calvary (they are the first on the front lines), but as stated above me different branches call similar units different things and the Army calls them infantry. And infantry is stationed all over. They are trained in Georgia. My husband was stationed in Germany (don't remember where) and then Louisiana (Ft. Polk). He served during Desert Storm, Desert Shield, and the mission in Somolia. He volunteered for all three but was never deployed to any.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Marine Recon and Army Cavalry Scouts are basically the same thing. So if he was recon before, it's perfect for him. In fact, Reconnassance can also be called "scouting".

I found this online:

In US practice, combat battalions have reconnaissance or scouting platoons, forces typically of 20-40 men, but sometimes twice that size, that can probe beyond the main line of the unit [7]. Brigades and divisions have separate Long Range Surveillance units [8], which can go deeper beyond the front line; the structure of such units is changing as the US Army reorganizes into a Brigade combat team model with enhanced reconnaissance. Dedicated scouts serving with infantry, tank, artillery, engineer, or logistics units will generally position themselves about 5 km in advance of the forward units where possible.

There are three types of Cavalry in the army. light, medium and heavy. Light is on foot and humvees, (continued)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Medium is on strykers and heavy is on Bradley's.

So basically the biggest difference is that their "job" is to do recon, while infantry's "job" is to fight.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009