How do I wean my son from his sippy cups?

My son had his 18-month check at his Dr. this week. She gave us the "No no no" type finger when she found out he was still using sippy cups. She strongly urged us to break him of it now.

How did you do it? I try offering him his milk in a small plastic cup at times when he most wants it and he won't take it. I try to offer it to him in a sippy cup without the lid, and he refuses it. Help! Any tricks to wean him?

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 8:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just do not give him the sippy cup..Give him a regular cup..Eventually he will understand he is not getting the sippy cup..Put the sippy cups up out of site or throw them away. There is know easy way to do it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My son is almost 4 and still uses a sippy cup. The Dentist said he teeth were perfect and not to worry about it. He will give it up on his own time. Which is good cause he has a tendancy to throw it! go with your gut or call a dentist cause really what does a Dr know about teeth anyway??
    luvbnmee

Answer by luvbnmee at 11:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Take him to the store, and let him pick out a "big boy" water bottle, like Kleen Kanteen or another stainless steel bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• First, it's not doing any harm so feel free to ignore the doctor. My little one is almost 3 and her doctor is not trying to force me to get her to switch. She can and does use an open cup but sippies are easier in some situations. Sippy cups serve more than one purpose - they let you easily carry a drink for him out of the house and they save your floors from puddles.

Second, he does need to learn to use an open cup. For that, give him one to play with in the bathtub. Once he seems to get the idea there, switch him to a cup for his milk or juice at meals or snacks. But let him keep a sippy cup of water in his play area to drink out of anytime he's thristy during the day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• get a different dr! Sorry, but I don't want to be cleaning up spills all day. My 4 year old still uses one when she wants a drink upstairs in her room!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• just take the sippy cup infront of him and through it in garbage, then give him a regular kids cup, and say now your a big boy, just like the doctor said, it really is bad for there teeth, and the germs that get in thoes lids are disgusting, so just take it, and trash it. if he gets thirsty enough he will take what ever cup you give him, good luck. now i wills ay this, i never gave my dd a sippy cup, her doctor said not to, so she always had a kids cup, but i do use a sippy cup for car rides or i will have to change her clothes once we get to our distantion, so i do see why they come in handy.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 2:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2009