How do I teach my son to quit hitting?

My son who is 16 months old has been hitting for the past 2 months. He hits when he gets mad and I'm usually the one that he hits. I have no idea where he picked it up from and it is a bad habit that I need to put an end to. He does try to hit my husband put once he is told no, he comes over to me and tries to hit me too. I just need any advice on what to do.

foxy400ex

Asked by foxy400ex at 9:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hit him back. when he see's that it hurts he'll stop.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't see how hitting to prevent hitting would be at all effective; it simply sends a message that hitting really does solve problems.
    At 16 months, he certain can spend a minute in the sad chair, or however you handle time outs. If that does not work, then his most beloved item will need to go into the closet for a half hour.
    It is critically important to be consistent with discipline and rewards.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• MY DD ALSO HITS, KICKS AND HAS A POTTY MOUTH, EVERYTHING I TRY DON'T WORK, SO I AM PRAYING SHE WILL GROW OUT OF IT, I HATE TO BE THE BULLY AND HIT HER EVERY TIME SHE SHOWS OUT, I WISH IT WAS SOMETHING I COULD DO TO STOP THE CURSING, ALSO OFCOURSE YOU EXPLAIN THAT HITTING MOMMIE IS NOT NICE, AND WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF HE COUNTINUES,I JUST DON'T THINK THAT IT MAKES SINCE TO SAY DON'T HIT MOMMIE AND THEN WHACK HIM IN THE SAME BREATH WHAT IS THAT TEACHING? NOW I HAVE GIVEN DD TIME OUT, MAKING HER GO TO SLEEP, THAT SEEMS TO WORK LONG ENOUGH TO SETTLE HER DOWN, IT'S PROABLY JUST A PHASE HE'S GOING THROUGH, BE VERY STERN WITH HIM LET HIM NO YOU WILL NOT ALLOW HIM TO HIT YOU AND HITTING WOMEN IS BAD> GOOD LUCK
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 1:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Hitting him back is SOOO NOT the answer. Just keep telling him NO in a stern, firm voice each time it happens and give him a time out for one minute. My son hit me every day for 2 weeks then finally stopped. I hear its just a phase they go through. Sometimes the phases are longer for children. Good luck
    Delshoney

Answer by Delshoney at 2:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• To the PP and the OP:

I suggest ignoring him/her and his actions completely. Turn your head away and look at something else across the room when they are acting out. No eye contact, no acknowledgment of the misdeed at all. Kids do these things because they get a reaction when they do. Even if it's just you looking in their direction.

Stick to positive reactions and lots of praise for doing nice things, like hugging/kissing/giving etc. Totally ignore them when they exhibit undesirable behavior. Because they are already doing these things, it will take time to reverse it. It will not be an instant fix.

To all those who have children that have not yet started these behaviors, you will see that if you totally ignore things like biting and hitting (no eye contact either), when they first occur, your child will not do it more than a couple of times. The biggest mistake parents make is saying "Ow, No, or Stop It."
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Yeah, hitting back to teach not to hit isn't really a good idea. You can't tell a child not to do something if you are going to do it. They learn from example. When my kids hit I just rubbed there arms and said use gentle hands or give hugs. After awhile the hitting stopped.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009