is this sexist?

if you are a woman fighting for custody of your kids is it sexist to think that a woman lawyer would represent you better? when going to a custody hearing which is better a male or female lawyer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think it would matter, but if you are more comfortable with a female lawyer; thats not sexist
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• well ... my sons dad had a female lawyer -- i had a male ... needless to say , this woman put me down left and right! i didnt live up to "the RIGHT female standards" in her eyes , so i was bad! my male lawyer , wanted me to admit things that my sons dad said was true , but wasnt ... honestly , find a lawyer whose like NEITHER one of these listed!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I had a female lawyer and I am VERY VERY VERY thankful I did!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I was going to get a particular woman attorney, but since she didnt' do custody anymore, she recommended a male attorney, and he was fabulous. The other lawyer was so dramatic, and played so many games telling down right lies (allegations) that the judge awarded the kids to me, and required my ex to pay for my legal fees as well as his own. Don't go for the 'games' or just thinking a woman will be better. Go for thorough, calm, and knowlegeable, no matter which gender.
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 11:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think women are better.. men (in my experience) tend to treat the children like possessions are are less concerned about the child and your concerns, even (as in my case) if you have valid evidence and documentation showing your concerns are valid and warrant investigation.
    Anonymous