How would you feel?

Last night at my son's baseball game, my sister and her husband said that they wanted to go out for dinner. I said I would take their children, 13, 9, and 9 months. We made these plans at about 6:30pm. The game was over at about 7 pm. They said they were going to go to my mother's house where they were staying (the live 1800 miles away and came for 8 days to visit) to get the kids ready and get themselves ready and they would be back. A little after 8 they bring the two older ones, having left the baby with my parents. I find out they are taking my other sister and her boyfriend. That's fine. My husband was working late and I have two kids of my own that I was with. So, at around 11, we start getting antsy. I called to see if they were ok. At about 11:30, the 13 year old starts checking the window every ten minutes to see if they are here. So I call about 3 more times, with no answer. Finally at 2 am, I get ahold of my sister

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• That was highly inconsiderate of her!! Since they were getting a late start for an evening out- she should have thought ahead and asked if the kids could spend the night, or gave you a specific time to expect her. She should have called to let you know plans had changed---that they were going to be out later than just dinner-- that way you and the kids would not have been left wondering and worrying. I am glad the kids did spend the night with you and were safe.
    I do think it would be a good idea to sit your sis down and let her know your feelings on this matter- and how you and the kids were worried.
    I hope she will think next time and not be so inconsiderate!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• OP
    She is trashed, and is asking if I can keep her kids overnight. Of course I don't let her come and get the kids. But she never asked, and told the kids that they would be back to get them after they were done with dinner. I ask her if she called my parents to let them know that they were responsible for the baby all night, and she hadn't. So these kids that hardly know me slept in my living room together because they had no where else to go. I love my sister, I do, but I felt very disregarded and disrespected. I told my sister it would have been nice if she had let us know before hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Op again

I think another real thorn in my side is that our other sister is a recovering alcoholic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It was disrespectful and inconsiderate, both of you and of her children. Probably you should just let it go.

Answer by Bmat at 9:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I guess you will know next time she asks you to watch her kids,,what will happen..

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would sit her down and tell her exactly how you feel. If you are mad, tell her so. I am sure it hurt your feelings as well. Tell her. If you are anything like me, when I hold my feelings in, I get snippy until I just blow up and let it all go. Try to have a peaceful conversation about it and you may get an apology...you deserve one. If she doesn't seem to care, I would try and let it go after that. She lives far away and that situation will probably never happen again. But atleast she'll know how you feel.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sad. I wonder how many ppl they dump the kids off on at home and stay out like that. They obviously don't know what damage they are doing to their kids by doing that, making them feel abandoned and worry. I hope there was a designated driver or the kids could be orphans if they are driving drunk one night. Irresponsible parents make me want to scream. I'm sorry your sister was so disrespectful to you and your parents. Ppl like that don't deserve to even have children imo. They should have gotten all their drunken party times out before they became parents. If they just have to get drunk and stay out all night they need to let everyone know what's up so they dont' worry

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'll be the odd ball one out of this one...but this is your sister and you did volunteer to watch the children for her while she went to dinner...rather she was trashed or not, wasn't a huge concern of yours only IF she was driving with the kids...I know she should've called and asked you to watch the kids BUT not all the time, everyone does what is expected or right of them to do...and this gave you the perfect opportunity to begin getting to know your sisters children.
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 3:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009