What do you do when he forgets your Anniversary?

Ok, well to be perfectly honest we both forgot. We discussed it briefly the night before, but the day of we both totally blanked. It's not like we had made any plans, and we never buy each other gifts, so it's really not that big a deal. Does this mean we are completely settled down, and boring now? For those who have been married more than a decade, did your anniversaries become less important too?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ours has stayed important, and he has never forgotten (39th coming up). But then I decided early on in the marriage that I wouldn't play memory roulette. If a date was important to me I wouldn't play the game of wondering if he'd remember, I'd make sure that he knew, by reminding him. LOL! But for our anniversary, I really believe that he would have remembered even if I hadn't reminded him.
    It sounds as if in your case that you both remembered but had too much going on to actually call it to mind on the day. Probably you both were just overwhelmed with your lives. Enjoy a celebration another time and don't give another thought to the possibility that it may be getting boring. :) And Congratulations on your anniversary!

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think that anniversaries can be like birthdays. The first few are really excited but then after a while they get toned down to just a quiet dinner between you and your husband. Then the big ones are the only ones you go crazy about. I think after 10 years of marriage it's like birthdays after 21: the ones that end in "0" are a big deal.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We've been married about 8 years. Anniversaries have never been a huge thing for us, though I think there has been less effort to do something special to celebrate from both of us as we have gotten busier with work and kids (I expect we will do more again when the kids are older). We usually at least do cards, but we don't always do that. It doesn't bother me too much because we both make an effort at other times to do little special things. He may forget to get a card for our anniversary, but he'll get one for no reason months from any special occaision, or he'll let me sleep in one day on the week-end and take care of the babies. I'll pick up something at the store that I know he likes (might just be a candybar), or I'll take the kids out so he can have a little quiet alone time. The little things throughout the year are the ones that keep us happy, and I'd rather have that than just one special day.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We just had our 23rd, the 7th of this month.We never go crazy with gifts. He know the flowers, perfume I like. I know the songs, aftershave he likes.
    momof337

Answer by momof337 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Our two year anniversary is tomorrow and I have booked a resort on Okinawa Island, part of Japan, and we have much needed messages planned. Plus babysiter for the weekend. But hey we live here, so its not like we are paying 2000$$ for tickets to fly here.

I think its fine if you have a mutual feeling with your partner. Unless you are pissed he didnt have anything planned, but then again, if you wanted something, just do it yourself. I basically set everything up. But thats our marraige. And what you do works for you, so keep at it I guess.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband doesn't forget because I don't let him lol. 

They don't become less important but we don't make as much of a fuss about it now.  We get each other a card but just spend some quality time together.  We tend to save the fuss for the milestone anniversaries.  My husband gave me a diamond eternity ring and an exact duplicate of my wedding bouquet for our 10th.  He is saving up to take me on a trip to where ever I want to go for our 25th and I would also like to re-new our vows as well.

We will be celebrating our 21st July 9th.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We do a lot of little things for each other through out the year, so we tend not to make a fuss over any holiday. I do make sure to make them special for our kids though, and I think that is why we forgot this year. My stepson's birthday is just after our anniversary, so I was busy planning for that. Next year is going to be our 10th wedding anniversary, but we were together 2 years before we got married, so it's actually going to be our 12th anniversary. We got married the same day we started dating, so I never know which number to go by.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband has NEVER forgotten.
    Even when he was deployed in Iraq for 3 of our anniversaries he never forgot - I either received a letter, a card, or a bouquet of flowers.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009