I have come to a conclusion as to why some women have a problem with women who breastfeed in public..

Its jealousy. That is the only reason i can honestly think of. How could a mom have a problem with seeing another mom breastfeeding? Its a breast. You have one, I have one, We have one. So get over it. If you did not breastfeed and you feel guilty about it, than thats something you have to deal with. You do not have to go out there and call a woman disgusting or inappropriate for breastfeeding her baby in public.
Okay end of rant. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hmm, well - maybe in some cases it is feelings of insecurity about not doing the same with their child - but I think for the most part it's the whole thing of people having the idea that breasts are for mens mags, and for bedroom entertainment only - so they see it as inappropriate, becuase breasts symbolize sex to them.

The ONLY way to stop this from being something people are afraid to see is for mothers to keep on breastfeeding wherever and whenever their child pleases.

The more it's seen, the more people will see it as normal - while it absolutely is.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I am going to go pop a bag of popcorn!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Lol. So you think I'm jealous of you because I formula fed my baby?

I don't have any problems with women breastfeeding, whether it be in public or not. Just don't leave your tits hanging out for everyone to see, thanks. I think you should think about what you say before you go posting ridiculuous accusations on here that are going to cause a lot of drama.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think some women are truly, and sadly, raised believing breasts are for sex, and they are dirty, and something to be embarrassed about. They can't help the feelings that have been pounded into them by the people who raised them, and by the over sexualized media and entertainment industry. They can, however, recognize that the idea that breastfeeding is icky or inappropriate is perverted and against nature, and try to work at changing their attitude, or at least keep it to themselves when someone is using their breasts for what nature meant for them to do with them.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Give it a rest already.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I can't imagine that it is jealousy, although you could be right. If women are disturbed, perhaps they don't like the idea of their men being exposed to an exposed breast? But the breastfeeding moms that I've seen are very careful to stay covered up.
    ------
    I agree. It it is beyond my reasoning as to why a woman would be uncomfortable with a man seeing another woman's breast(while breastfeeding). I know in other countries, men see breast as food for the baby. If a man is walking by and a woman is breastfeeding he wont even be bothered by it, its like walking past a mom singing to her child. Its nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm kind of with both sides on this one. I think BF is natural and should not be confined to a public restroom (I mean eww who wants to eat in there??). However, I do think its tacky to not use a cover-up when BF in public I'm not uncomfortable with the idea of bare breasts, its just that to me BF is a very private act between a loving mother and her child. I would feel like I was peeing in public or something. That's JMO and I would never try to ban a woman from doing what is natural for her child one way or another! As for jealousy, I think that it depends on the woman. I want to BF until my baby is 2, and I have a friend who is very against me doing that, bc she only BF till the baby was 2 months, and considers it "inappropriate" to do it for longer than that. She's not jealous of me, she just thinks its kind of gross. So sometimes it can't be explained by jealousy!
    Anonymous

• "Its a breast. You have one, I have one, We have one. "

I don't know about you, but I have two of them.

Also I find it more interesting to wonder why MEN have an issue. Because THEY decided that our breasts are for them for sexual purposes and not for feeding babies. So our culture had decided that since men find them sexy that's the purpose. Look dude, if you think they're sexy that's fine, but don't tell me not to use them for what they're meant for just because it ruins your stiffy to see them in a non-sexual context!

I think this topic is way more interesting than why women have a problem with it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• "I think BF is natural and should not be confined to a public restroom (I mean eww who wants to eat in there??)."

My local mall just put in these lovely rooms with gliders in them specifically for nursing! There are like four or six of them and I love them! You don't have to sit in a nasty bathroom and they are so clean! I was really impressed by them.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I disagree. I exclusively breastfed my children, so I certainly don't feel jealous towards women who do it in public. However, at times I feel annoyed by it. I think when people discuss breastfeeding in public you need to specify the scenario - like how revealing the woman is being about it. I breastfed in public all the time, but I was very discreet about it and NEVER had anyone give me a hint of disapproval. I have seen some women who make no attempt at all at being discreet and yes, I do think that's pretty rude. It's like they feel entitled to do it and don't mind making the majority of people uncomfortable. I honestly think there are some women out there who secretly hope someone says something to them so they can tell them off. Yes, it's natural but so is full on nudity and eliminating your waste, and nobody wants to see that. Society has conventions, it's not that hard to cover up. Quit bitchin and deal with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009