At What Age Would You Let Your Tween Have Their Own Cell Phone.. (if at all)??

Ok I have a 9 yr old daughter & she is CONSTANTLY whining about wanting her own cell phone because a great deal of her friends (for whatever reason) have their own cell phones. Personally, this makes no sense to me. Why anybody would give a child at this age a cell phone is beyond me, but I guess some parents have their own reasons for doing this. In my opinion, I think even a 12-13 yr old is still too young for their own phone. But that's just me. The only way my daughter would be getting a phone is if she was atleast 15-16 & involved in sports or other extra curricular activities where I would need to get ahold of her. I think giving a kid a cell is just asking for trouble as far as texting, sending naked photos & that sort of thing.

Moms, what is your opinion on this??

Lextacy

Asked by Lextacy at 9:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My dad and I were talking about this the other day. I think that at 14 (high school age) is a good age. Just for emergencies. You can control what type of plan she has, how many minutes she can use and texts, if any. In my opinion, 9 is too young.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think 13-15 is a good age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• High school age. And calling plan that stops them from using the internet on there phone.

Answer by louise2 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree a lot of tweens are getting cell phones at too young of an age! My cousin got her 8 year old son a cell phone and I was so disgusted! That is outrageous to me

Anyway, I think 13/14 - freshman in high school is a good age. My goddaughter got one at the age of 10 and it has caused nothing but problems! Her mother was on the fence about getting it also, and now she regrets it.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My son may get one for his tenth birthday in Sept. However it will not have texting or picture sending because that is just totally ridiculous. It will be for when he is away at a friends house and may want to call me or dad or my mom or his aunts and uncles. That is it. Kids have way too much freedom and too many silly luxuries these days IMO.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My son got one when he was ten...many of his friends have them. It only costs 9.99 a month to add a line to an existing plan. He has no texting or pic-sending plan. He got it symbolically so that he would always be able to be in touch with his father, who lives out of state (even though he obviously could have used the home phone). We live in the kind of neighborhood where he can ride his bike around the block and meet up with some kids from the neighborhood to play with....so he can call me and let me know, and I can always reach him if he forgets to let me know. I don't have any problem with it.... I can understand your caution, but if you have a kid who wants to send naked pictures of his or herself that is a problem beyond a cell phone issue! The cell phone doesn't cause these problems....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• WTF does a kid need a cel phone for?! I mean really?!
    My son will get a cel phone when he is able to help pay for the bill. I see this all over and it's just nutsy IMHO.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My DH is a tech junkie. He believes in an early introduction to technology and all its conveniences. My DD is a year and he already has computer games for her. His phone (omnia) basically does everything but launch satellites. He thinks it important to understand how to get the most from you gadgets. So she will probably have a kid cell phone by 4...and if not, I'm sure she will no how to call various people without help from an adult.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If a child has a cell phone I believe they should have rules to go along with it. My son is only 2 but my Little sister has one and she is 13..
    She is very irresponsible with it... I told my mom but apparently she doesn't care... Not that long ago My sister told me she was up until 4 am.. Of course she was on the phone.. She is on her phone constantly and doesn't do anything to deserve it... The bad thing is she has had over 3-4 different phones this year alone... One i know she got wet... She was on it well in the bath I believe... One got stolen out of her unlocked locker at school and one was stolen again at school because she let someone carry it for her and they told her they gave it back to her ... So she got another one and didn't want it because it didn't have a camera and didn't do on the internet so of course she got another one... She is so irresponsible with it..But my mom doesn't care I guess...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Just want to add...I think some parents get their kids cell phones so the have a wireless leash on them.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2009