Why is my cat suddenly hissing at our other cat, who's been his snuggle bug for over 6 months?

Friday we sent our little Deucie to the vet for a spay and declaw. The kids and I picked her up from the vet this morning. When we brought her home, Conan started hissing at her like she was a new addition to the household! She was only gone overnight! Just now I let him out of our bedroom and he's walking around the house hissing and prowling for Deucie. Our poor little baby just had a serious operation, she's hurting and scared, so why is Conan treating her like this instead of his usual lovey, kissy, fatherly, brotherly, friendly self? These two cats are inseparable! Now he's turning on her like she's a new cat!!! What is up and how can i keep her safe? I don't want her to feel threatened in her own home after such an ordeal! help!

Asked by ilovethose2kids at 10:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pets

• I think you will find that he has noticed a change in her odor. I would assume that he can smell the anesthesia. Have you ever been around someone that had eaten a strong smelling food? You can smell it in their breath and in their sweat. I think that is part of the problem.

Answer by MizzT at 2:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I had this happen. I had two cats and I was forced to seperate them. Well we did get the other cat back he was gone for maybe a week. And the other cat who loved him hissed and hissed and slapped him and everything. Its just a change in his body odor he doesn't smell like he normally does so the other cat is rejecting him. He will go back to smelling normal soon and then they will be great buds again.

Answer by CuteCowgirlMami at 4:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Its the body odor...I have had this happen with dogs and cats. They will work it out in a few days.

Answer by katydidit1965 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• maybe its a hormone things.. like when a woman gets a histie her hormones go all crazy.. maybe she is sending out something that is driving conan nuts

Answer by BodensMommy115 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2008