Has anyone tried a "water only" fast?

Ok I've gained some weight since having my baby a yr ago. I've been eating wrong, not exercising & not caring about looking like my old self until last week when I stepped on the scale and was shocked at how much I actually weighed. I've never weighed this much in my life. A friend told me about fasting. She said it not only makes you lose weight rapidly, it also is a good way to clean out your body of all negative toxins & gives you a "fresh start" to getting healthy & eating right. I started a water only fast today & I'm having major hunger pains already. It's only going to be today & tomorrow & I'll start slowing introducing healthy, well portion-sized foods starting on Saturday. Has anyone else tried this & what was your result?

Lextacy

Asked by Lextacy at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Fast ONLY if instructed to by your doctor NOT some well meaning but stupid friend. Fasting makes your body think it's starving which means it will react by storing what food you do give it into FAT. Believe it or not you should eat MORE often but smaller portions. Eat six small meals a day (really 4 and 2 snacks). Do small exercises like lifting 2 lb weights a few min a day then take the baby out for a walk a couple days a week. Building up muscle mass with the weight will burn up fat and the lbs will come off. Drink lots of water and reduce your caloric intake and watch your fat grams. Do these simple things and the weight will come off without you harming your body. I lost 50 lbs that way and I'm a lazy person. I just changed my eating habits and did some simple exercises. PLEASE don't hurt yourself. Never fast without a dr's permission.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 1:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Not only will your body go into starvation mode and hold on to fat but any loss will be excess water from all the ater you are taking in NOT FAT! you get rid of fat by using it as fuel, to use stared fat as fuel you need to burn off more than you take in.

Plus fasting can lead to low blood sugar and other issues, if low blood sugar gets TOO low you could go into a coma and die!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• www.voicewithin.isagenix.com

A nutritional cleanse is the only healthy way to lose weight rapidly in my opinion. (And keep it off) What your body will do when you eat again will store your food. Never ever ever starve yourself. The stress hormone cortisol will be released when your blood sugar drops and that is in fact another toxin.

Living on only water is never safe. The body and cells need minerals to servive. And I am not taking about mineral water either.

-BRIE
    719.640.3864
    Briennelayne

Answer by Briennelayne at 12:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009