Is there anything I can do to make it less likely my son will become autistic?

I was just wondering since it is so common.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Health

• This is something you should talk to your pediatrician about.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• There isn't anything scientifically proven that could prevent autism.

Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Autism is the new ADHD. It is widely over-diagnosed. The worst part of that is children who DO have autism suffer as a result from lack of resources taken by children with lazy physicians who don't bother to find out what is really wrong with a child. Instead they throw them under a blanket label. How can I say this? My daughter was misdiagnosed as autistic for alomst 3 years. What was really happening was a brain tumor. Had the Dr. bothered to do a few diagnostics my child might be alive. His insurance company obviously agreed or we wouldn't have recieved the settlement we did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• please dont become those moms who think just because he is screaming hes autistic PLEASE , thats so annoying anymore! But seriously , a plus side - if hes autistic the state will pay for him the rest of your life! be like the other moms and let him play the autistic card forever! dont try to cure him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Anon 10:58 .... SCREW YOU!.... I wish the state paid for everything for us like everyone seems to think...we still struggle week to week...we cannot afford luxuries....if it weren't for a PRIVATE donation my son wouldn't have been able to attend camp or soccer...I had to pull my daughter out of summer preschool to afford the gas to get my son to therapies this summer and we scrape by on generic mac and cheese and hot dogs most weeks.
    Soooo...if you could please explain to me how to "play his autistic card" to get enough money from the state to better our lives...I'd love to hear it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Answered at 11:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 by: Anonymous -- and ur punishing one child for ur autistic child ! thats just wrong! dont punish your daughter for your son! .... parents of autistic kids get EVERYTHING paid for , special schoolings , insurance ... its insane! when theres kids/teens who are actually going to be something one day who have parents who cant afford their check ups or schooling or camps for them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Are you the same mom who posted the other day about private schooling? My son WILL amount to something...he is not diseased...he is NOT terminal...he has issues interacting with other children...he doesn't understand the rules of friendship...he IS extremely bright...his last IQ test in Kindergarten was 130!!! His report cards are all A's and B's...so how do you figure he will amount to nothing?!?
    And do you figure I am "punishing" my daughter? Did your children go to preschool year round? She starts Kindergarten in the fall and summer at her preschool is half day play ... halfday learning...did you ask me if I was schooling her at home during the summer? NO you didn't and YES I am!
    And NO I don't get everything paid for...Yes I get SOME help but not "everything" not even close. Obviously you were blessed with perfect kids and I would think you'd just be grateful for that and kind enough to help those less fortunate!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• : KaylasMiracle -- i dont see why the children who have these problems of understanding 'friendship rules' or any rules at all , need to be in school!? thats a BIGGER problem for EVERYONE! ... and i dont know what your taking about , i didnt post anything about schooling ...
    Anonymous

• kind enough to help those less fortunate
    =========
    Why? These families CLEARLY get enough help as it is! Im about to start asking these families for help lol!
    Anonymous

• Please explain to me how my child "is a BIGGER problem for EVERYONE" because clearly I don't understand. I don't understand how my child NOT playing with you child and keeping to himself rather than making friends inconveniences you or your child. Or do you feel that every child that is different from yours should be hidden away in institutions? Is THAT what you are trying to say? Because that's certainly how you come across.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009