When I was pregnant I was on medicaid.. few questions

My doctor had only given me two ultrasounds and my first one was because he thought I was having a miscarriage. He only had my blood drawn once (at my first appointment) I wasn't offered any tests during my pregnancy except to be screened for strep b. Now I'm not complaining about this at all. I had excellent care. What I am wondering is if when I get pregnant again and am now on my husbands insurance, will I be offered more ultrasounds, get my blood checked more often, get more tests offered? Was it just this Doctor or was it because of medicaid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well, some doctors don't believe in excessive testing. I know insurances only pay for one ultrasound unless more is ordered by the doctor for a MEDICAL reason. also I got three blood tests Beta Quan test, triple screen test (check for birth abnormalities) and an HIV test in those three blood draws I no they tested more, like RH factor and such. also I got tested for gestational diabetes, strep B and I believe that was it.

one thing I can insure is your hubby's insurance wont pay for more than one ultra sound unless medically nessacery.

Good luck!

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It was just the doctor. Medicaid covers anything your doctor orders so if he wants an ultrasound everyother month then medicaid covers it. Get a new doctor if you want more and also tell your doctor that you want this, this and this.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Oh as for your last question, for my first pregnancy I was on medicaid and I got all the same tests done for my second pregnancy with blue cross insurance.

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I had three ultrasounds last time and it seemed like it was just standard besides the last one which was to make sure he wasn't getting too big (a load of crap so that I'd just do a c-section if you ask me).
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i don't think it's just medicaid, 'cause i have medicaid & i was offered the blood test for abnormalties in the baby (declined, though) in addition to the first blood test they give you. and i got my first ultrasound to date my pregnancy & i'm going for my second in a few weeks for a fetal anatomy screening. it's def the doctor.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Acutally what your insurance pays depends on your plan.

We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. They have covered 90% of my care and will cover 90% of the birth/hospital stay. My insurance covers THREE ultra sounds at 100% and then the rest (as long as they are deamed medical necessary are subject to my deductable (which is 150) and then my 10%.

My insurance has also covered all my labs (I've had blood drawn 4 times at my OBGYN's office through out this pregnancy, and 1 time at the Perinatologist when I had genetic testing done) and visits.

The thing about medicaid is that they cover very few things that are considered medical unnecessary. In some states they will only cover 1 diagnostic ultra sound. Dr's are supposed to discriminate but that the end of the day they make VERY little off of medicaid so they do sometimes limit the amount of unnecessary testing they do.

Check your plan to see what it covers! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I meant "aren't supposed to" above not "are"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It's your dr. because I medicaid pays for everything. No matter what it is. If you need 50 tests done they will cover it as long as the dr. orders it. Some dr.s just feel if they see no threats in a pregnancy that they dont need to test. Weird huh? If you feel uncomfortable you should ask the dr. or change dr.s. Dr.s hate when you actually know what you are talking about. But if all else fails ask. Definitly tell the hospital if you arent feeling right and you are concerned. God Bless.....
    laydlexius

Answer by laydlexius at 11:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well im on medicaid now i've had 3 u/s done so far at 25wks i will be having another one in a few weeks hopefully to find out the sex..im not high risk he is doing this last one to find out the sex and if he doesnt get it this time he will be doing it again lol i've had numerous blood testing done encluding my gd test...really it doesnt matter what kind of insurance you have it's up to your doctor what he does so i would find another doctor before you get pregnant again and ask them what they would do if you were pregnant..GL
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 11:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It was your dr. This is my third pregnancy & I have had at least 3 ultrasounds each time. And had a lot of tests offered.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2009