My step daughter is three and doesnt want to poop in the potty. Its totally a control issue. What advice do u have to help her want to use the potty to do # 2?

She spends one week at her moms and one week at her dads. Going back and forth is causing confusion becuase her mom is worthless..

She wears her big girl undies all the time but will hide and poop in them, although going pee in the potty is not a problem.

~Mandaz

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter did this also. She was afraid that it was going to hurt. I just had to watch her closely and anytime I saw her go off by herself and stand with her legs crossed I knew she had to go. I just took her by the hand and talked calmly to her, encouraging her to sit and I talked softly to her until she could not hold it any longer and she just went. Since you think that she wants to control the situation, maybe she can make some simple choices concerning going to the potty. Maybe she can choose the bathroom she wants if you have more than one. Or she can choose a special book to take to the potty with her that you could read to her while she sits. Make her think she is in control of some part of it and maybe that will do it. Also, reward her if she does go #2 without fussing with you.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• the reward system deinitely works....i used it when i was baby sitting and the child was potty trained by the time he was three....let her know that she only gets the treat if she goes in the potty....she will then want to go in the potty because she knows that something good comes out of it
    Blakesbabygirl

Answer by Blakesbabygirl at 5:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2009