Do you STILL think "ObamaCare" is in YOUR best interest?!

And so it begins.....

Yesterday's post regarding discrimination among Medicare subscribers evolved into whether or not the elderly should be allowed certain medical procedures/surgeries, when their quality of life or life expectancy may not be enhanced or lengthened.

WELL, Obama himself had this to say in last night's "infomercial" on ABC...

(from the link)

"President Obama suggested at a town hall event Wednesday night that one way to shave medical costs is to stop expensive and ultimately futile procedures performed on people who are about to die and don't stand to gain from the extra care."

"He added: "Maybe you're better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller."

Is this really what you want?! Is this fair?! Where is the outrage?!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-health25-2009jun25,0,1978875.story

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 10:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Won't you have to BUY the insurance plan? I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it. It won't be free, it will be an option.

Is it really an "option" when they pay for it by taxing people who have private health care on that health care, making it so they can no longer afford it, leaving the government plan as the only option they can afford? It's estimated that the tax would bring in less than half of the money they need to pay for it, but the only other viable alternative doesn't even cover 20%. To get that 450 billion in revenues from the tax, it would make the private health care plans of 40% of the people who have them no longer affordable, and employers will not be increasing salaries to make up the difference (if they did, it would still be taxed so the increase to cover the shortfall would have to be huge).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If I know I'm going to die or there is no way to fix what I have then why would I waste the money, time and energy on something that will do no good?

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't think people take surgeries lightly. I'm sure many people do consider weather or not a surgery is worth the recovery.  I'm not really anti-Obama,  I'm just not a fan of his medical care reform.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Jackal, You're right, but that should be YOUR decision. Not the decision of a non-medical bureaucrat in Washington.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Do you really think you're going to change anybody's minds on CM? Get out and go talk to the people that matter, we can't do anything here!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Ahhhh so that is how he plans to kill off those who are elderly and infirmed! That would include my mother.....why not just use a gas chamber and do it all at once?? Probably be cheaper. Sounds like something we dealt with in past history.....well those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• That is just exactly what we have been trying to say isn't it? Do you want the govt controlling what healthcare you can recieve? Do you consider age 59 as the cut off date for bypass surgery fair? That is what England has and England is what Obama basically wants to model. As the cost of UHC increases while govt revenue goes down then there will be more treatments denied. Ultimately it will affect you or a loved one. Is this what people want?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Here is an article that discusses the costs associated with end-of-life care, in Massachusetts, and how the state would like to streamline the process and save money.  This is a state that implemented a state-run program 6 years ago, and is already having trouble managing the program.  You can read more about it my journal post.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=523153

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• So what's the difference between some "washinton bureaucrat" and a private insurance company telling you no? people who have private insurance get turned down ALL THE TIME for things that insurance companies don't deem necessary, or they claim are pre-existing.

The bottom line is affordable health care for ALL.

I see some of you talk about how you can;t be turned away now blah, blah..there's a HUGE difference in walking into the emergency room with a broken arm or needing a tumor removed or cancer treatment. Those thing you can and most certainly do get turned away for if you are without insurance. It's those people I'm concerned with and everyone should have access to care.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2009