"Think Outside of the Box", a saying I despise

I just had a business idea not survive feasibility research. I learned not to gripe about my frustrations of starting a business in an incredible competitive world. Reason why, I keep hearing "Think Outside of the Box", without any further response on how to expand on an idea or any new ideas. Do people not understand what these empty saying entail when they say these empty adages?

Seems that sayings likes these throw more frustration into my face than actually helping.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I personally like the saying. Think differently does sell.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I hear what you are saying though. They're empty words of advice. It's something that an investor can say to you without having to think too hard or back it up. It's funny how a truly unique idea will be tossed aside the same way for being "not mainstream enough." They say that they want you to "think outside the box" but what they really want you to do is to think inside their box and outside of your own!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I understand, but the issue is that I've had a cornucopia of ideas. It's not about the difference of ideas, but having to survive feasibility and street tests. And, the "Think Outside of the Box" adage is almost an insult at this point.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I actually had someone say "You cannot think outside the box until you can think INSIDE the box. You need to understand the box, its limitations and what risks and benefits there are to going outside. Sometimes thinking inside the box is what yhou need."
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• For some the meaning behind "think outside of the box" is lost, it has become a blanket statement. Just shows their lack of creativity.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009