How do you know when youv'e made the right decision?

Long story short.. I adopted a cat, she's 9 yrs old and has a horrible attitude. It has improved in the couple years she's been here. She has started being very particular about the litter box so at one point I had as many as three in our house. She still continues to go everywhere in the house to pee/poop. There is nothing medically wrong with her. So, my ex is taking my two other cats (they were mainly his). I am going to give PD (the remaining cat) some time to see if this issue will resolve. If it doesn't, is it wrong for me to put her down? Her adoption chances are not good with her attitude alone but then you throw in the fact that she has litter box issues... I am not taking it lightly but need opinions.. And there aren't many shelters here plus I don't want to have her live miserable for the rest of her life.

sherwins.girl

Asked by sherwins.girl at 11:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Try a "no kill" shelter or Petco.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Is or was she spade?

moomers

Answer by moomers at 11:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• This happens with A LOT of cats as they get older...It's good that you're going to give her time after the other cats are out of the house...I'm not an expert on the subject but I don't know what to tell you if her behavior doesn't change after the other cats are gone...I had a cat that REFUSED to use the litter box if it was 'not' cleaned out at least once a day, may be that's the probl;em????
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 11:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Instead of putting her down find a no-kill shelter. Or find a home where the cat can be outside...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You shouldnt put her down because she has issues using the potty. Thats just horrible. Her adoption chances may be small but at least theres a chance, with death there is not chances. Its not fair to her. momma marain said it well, perhaps she was once an outdoor cat and needs to be outside. Regardless, this isnt a reason to put down your cat.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I can sympathize with you. We;ve had cats in my moms house since I was 8. We had two cats, and eventually three....Peaches was the new addition, a few years after her we brought another female cat into the house, Angel and since then Peaches pees on furniture, walls, BEDS, anywhere she doesn't want Angel to go. We;ve tried everything and nothing has worked. It's been like this about 6 years now.

It's just habit for her, we block the living room so she can't get in when we aren't there and we keep shower curtains on the beds when we aren't sleeping. It sucks, but for us she is a daughter and finaly about 14 years old. We've struggled with the idea but we can't and won't do it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I sympathize with you. Some people may think it's horrible to euthanize an animal for the reasons you've listed, but there's a reason why it's done multiple times every day. And besides, those who are judging you aren't volunteering to take on the problem themselves, are they? If you can find a no-kill shelter, then great, but if not... my heart goes out to you because I know this can't be an easy decision to make. At least you've tried to give this cat a better life. It's not your fault if the cat simply isn't a good fit.
    Anonymous

• She is spayed and declawed.. That is one reason we can't make her an outside cat. If that was an option I would do it. Although she would have to come in in the winter, we live in Idaho now.. Her original family took her to the vet to be euthanized, for what reason Im not sure.. Maybe because of this. I have tried my best to keep up with the boxes but with two school age kids and a 2 mos old now, sometimes it gets pushed to the bottom of the list unfortunately... That is one reason why I have multiple boxes, so that if I can't clean them everyday one isn't so full...
    Anyways.. the issue I have with taking her to a no kill shelter is that not all of them are what they are claiming to be.. Plus I don't want her being stressed out living in a kennel because she doesn't do well with the other cats...
    I by no means want an animal put down but I also don't want to give her to someone else and have them have to deal with her.
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 5:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i'm not sure but i know i couldn't live with that going on in my home. i'm leaning towards the put down but that is sad. to bad there isn't a cat whisperer.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• it's definitely not an easy decision.. it breaks my heart actually. It won't be taken lightly.
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 6:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009