HELP!!

I'm going back to work in 4 weeks at which point my DD will be 16 weeks old. My husband is really pushing for his grandmother to take care of her while we are at work. My conceern is that she is 81 years old and is recovering from a broken wrist that she broke 4-5 months ago (2nd time she broken it in 5 yrs?). Granted that she in good health otherwise but the fact still remains that she is 81. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uh I wouldn't do it. Newborns are way too exhausting for an 81 year old to take care of. Is there anyone else that can take care of the baby? If not, maybe consider a sahm in your area.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Probably not by herself. What if she broke her wrist again? She would all alone with a tiny baby and no help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think it would be unfair to have a woman of her age and physical health watching a newborn. Perhaps you can find a sitter to watch her, and let it be known that she can come over and "supervise" whenever she wants? That way she can spend time with her granddaughter and not have to do the physically exhaustive work that goes along with it!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think that part of the reason my husband is pushing this so much is because his mother might be pushing it on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My grandma is in her 80's can babysit my 4 kids still. I think it depends on the person. Does she want to take care of the baby? Is mentally and physically able to? A broken wrist doesn't necessarily mean she is in bad health.
    mawfia

Answer by mawfia at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009