• In the Spotlight:

What is the most effective way to get rid of carpenter ants in the home without using chemicals because we have small children crawling?

Its not an infestation, but everyday I find 2 or 3 of them little buggers and my daughter ate one yesterday. Also we are on a tight budget and prefer not to use any kind of harsh chemcials.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 11:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've heard someone say they used bay leaves but I don't know that for a fact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My mom has always used Boric Acid and chaulk. Put a small line around the OUTSIDE of your house. Complete the perimeter. Bugs won't crawl over the chaulk.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ok i don't have an answer that you are gonna want to hear. i was and still am on an extremely tight budget, however, we ended up having to call Orkin. It started out the same way 1 or 2 here and there and then it seemed to go away and then my SO and I came home from a Cubs game and we had a bunch in our room... we didn't even sleep in our room for a few days. It was horrible and it has nothing to do with food, they are attracked to rotten wood. If you google carpenter ants you'll find more than you would like to know. Orkin has been out a couple of times and now we don't have a problem.
    thenewmum

Answer by thenewmum at 11:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Wow, after reading the answer above, I better check into my situation a little more! Lol. I don't deal with the ants from the outside, guessing I should...but once they show up, I usually find them all over in our bathroom and shower, a few in our room, and in the kitchen on the tile. I just use water and dish soap. I kill the ants by kinda drowning them with a soapy sponge, then I wipe what seems to be their usual trail after rinsing the dead ants off of the sponge.
    Marilynz_Mommy

Answer by Marilynz_Mommy at 12:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Cayenne pepper, cinnamon and corn meal. Equal parts spices add slightly more corn meal and put it at the point of entry. Ants do not eat on site, they carry back to their nests; they will do the same with the mixture, eat it there and when they drink they will "explode" because the cornmeal expands. The scent left behind detours other ants from entering.

Sounds violent I know, but it's cheap and effective.
    xrussianbabe02

Answer by xrussianbabe02 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have always used ant trap, even around our DD when she was crawling. If you place them in cabinets that have the child lock on them, she will not be able to get to them. Also, on counters in a far away corner. A lot of the ant traps are child safe. We have the ants as well. The only other thing I can say is this. Take everything off the counters, clean them and then wipe them down with alcohol. Place a dryer sheet in a corner and see what happens. My mother swears by this. My family are slobs. They do not wipe down after themselves and so, we have the ants. I have to live with slobs and ants. Good luck. I may move in with you.
    jns131

Answer by jns131 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Wow, what a vast array of suggestions. I will try them, thanks.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009