Wouldn't be easier for a child to be diagnosed with mental retardation rather than Autism?

on't get me wrong but it has brought to my knowledge that Autistic Children who don't get the diagnosis (sometimes due to the misconception of the label: mental retardation) are not getting the services that they are supposed to get.
Some cases are severe but parents are reluctant to diagnosed their children with mental retardation even though this will mean that the child will be served accordingly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• My answer is NO! The Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is not a "cookie cutter disorder" where everyone is the same, does the same things. ASD is a big, wide spectrum where everyone is different. My son is diagnosed with Aspbergers (high functioning autism). He appears 'normal' he is on the honor roll at school, he is verbal, he can do most everything that a 'normal' child can do. My cousin's nephew is at the lower end of the spectrum - -he is non-verbal, he stims....
    I belive the ASD child should be diagnosed as ASD - that way they can get the services they need and it is important in school too-- for the IEP and any help needed in school.
    Having a different 'label' would be like looking at a child with chicken pox and saying they have the flu. The treatments are totally different and would affect the child greatly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I corrected the question I hope it doesn't get deleted this time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Your question doesn't make sense. Why would you provide MR services to someone who isn't MR? Autism and mental retardation are NOT interchangeable diagnoses and the interventions, supports & services provided for each diagnosis are NOT the same. Granted, both populations may appear to share similar behaviors & needs, but the "why" behind those behaviors & needs can be extremely different, therefore the interventions used for them must be different. There is no "one size fits all" approach to treatment, nor should there be - for either diagnosis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Anons I'm talking about the severe cases. State Agencies will not provide services to Autistic Children as long as they been diagnosed with mental retardation too. Mild cases of Autism don't need the services that children with severe autism deserve.

I'm sick of mothers who think that Aspergers is a disability. It is not when it comes to obtaining state services for disables.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• services for the disabled*?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't care how you diagnose someone. All that matters is they get the love and support they *need*. It seems stupid that the state would be willing to over different levels of help based on a label rather than based on actual need. Some people need different types of help and that should be addressed on a case by case basis. This would actually save money in the end (enough those theres more one on one time wtih each child) by making sure the proper help is avaiable and that useless thearpies/help are not going to people who don't need it or who don't benefit from it.
    Anonymous