Removing wallpaper?

My youngest has torn of the top of most of the wallpaper in her bedroom. I don't mind that, the previous owners had done a pretty bad job and I don't like wallpaper. But I would like to paint her room now. So how do I get the backing off the wall without buying that expensive stuff at the store? I really cannot afford that stuff and I know I have heard some on her talk about making your own. Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Vinegar & warm water. Try to peel the top layer of the paper off and then keep soaking and peeling. When you are pulling it off you will find that it pulls easier from one direction then another. Make note of that and keep pulling from that direction.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• One of those scraper things and some liquid wall paper remover... I'm sure you could google it!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I heard steamers work. Maybe you can borrow one. I don't envy you...its a tedious job. GL
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Speaking from the experience of remodeling an entire house with wallpaper or borders in EVERY flippin' room, the easiest way to remove wall paper/paste is to mix a solution of liquid fabric softener and water (half downy & half water is what I used, but I think you could go less downy and more water) in a spray bottle and spray it on. Let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub it off with a sponge, dipping your sponge into a bucket of water to rinse off the glue. It smells awesome and because Downy is a surfactant, lifts it right off. Some glue seemed thicker than others and required a longer soak time. You usually have to score the paper with a "paper tiger," just roll it around. I bought one at Home Depot for...under $10? It can be a tedious job, but if you're like me, you like seeing the fruits of your labor. LOL Good luck and happy scrubbing!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I have always used just hot water and a old dishtowel with a plastic scraper. The tough spots may require a longer soak. I have never added anything to the water. I have a heard that an iron with a steam setting could be used for tough spots. I have never had a need to try it though.
    oh_tracie

Answer by oh_tracie at 10:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2009