He likes his ex-girlfriends cooking better than mine..

So a few days ago we went by to pick up my husbands son from his mothers house. Onthe way there we wer discussing what he wanted to eat that night, I suggested making him Pork chops. He agreed. Well when we got to her house to grab the baby my husband mentions to her that I'm cooking tonight and that SHE should come over and make the family her Pork chops. I know he didn't mean it as badly as it came out.. But it really bothered me that he would pick her cooking, over his wife's.
I'm not a bad cook.. he just likes hers better. :( but I'm the WIFE.

victoria.mommy

Asked by victoria.mommy at 11:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• You should have said..I'll have my ex come over later and teach you about foreplay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If my dh said that in front of me.. he'd be eating out for a month! Mine once made a statement in front of his mother that her food was better than mine and we both laid into him for it!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'd tell him to go over to HER house and have her make them, then. Just me.

OR you could find out how she makes them and give them your own little twist.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would tell him to have her cook for him then, or better yet cook for his damn self. You need to tell him that was MEAN!!! You don't insult a woman's cooking, especially if you want her to keep cooking.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Hmmm that would be a bit off-putting to hear he liked someone elses food better. I am sure he did not mean to hurt you. Maybe you could ask her what her 'secret' is to her pork chops and try fixing them that way. I would sit him down and say 'you know what you said to Deb really hurt me. I thought you liked my cooking" Then I would encourage him to be honest, and let you know what dishes of yours he likes, what he does not like. It might be a good idea to look thru some cookbooks and find some new and interesting dishes to make (maybe he is 'bored' with the same meals?).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• lol anon! I would also have been furious, and to be honest, that kind of comment would haunt him for YEARS. Any time the subject of pork chops came up, he'd hear about it. What an idiot. While I get what Mizlee is saying, it would still bother me greatly.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think your Hubby was being disrespectful saying that in front of the Ex but try to remember that men don't always have a filter and sometimes stuff just comes out of their mouths that probably shouldn't!! I know for a fact that my SO's first wife was part Thai and she was an Amazing cook! That's how she got him!! LOL But I also know that I am an Amazing cook too and he would never say anything about her being a better cook or I would have to pop him!! LOL ...I could help you with some "knock your socks off" recipes!! After that he won't even remember her name, Let alone her silly pork chops!!!
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i would tell him to make his own damn pork chops then. taht is disrespectful
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Wow, ladies! Harsh, much?

In all seriousness, I would tell him honestly that his comment bothered you a lot, and it really hurt your feelings. He probably doesn't even know that what he said COULD be hurtful- men are dense like that, and kicking them to the couch is just passive aggressive and will only serve to make you BOTH unhappy.

Besides, would you want him to lie to you? I always tell my husband not to lie about it if there is a dish I make that he doesn't like, or if there was something I could do differently to enhance a dish. Feedback is helpful, and shouldn't hurt your feelings. I've only made one or two dishes that he hasn't cared for, and guess what? I didn't like them either! He's made suggestions on several that I put into play, and we were both happy.

Unless he did it purposefully to hurt your feelings. Then he'd be on the couch.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well if it were my husband he'd be drink his dinner due to broken jaw. But maybe if you tried a different recipe. I use the Foodnetwork.com recipes quite often and my husband loves them.
    Anonymous