what to do with hubby's stuff everywhere?

I'm tired of it. When the kids leave their stuff (toys, clothes, shoes, etc) around the house I bag them up and put them in the basement and they're lucky to get it back.
Well, my husband is worse then them. Right now he has shirts, shorts, underwear all over the living room, he has shoes in the hall but not where they go (they are blocking the door), he leaves dishes all over the house and throws his laundry on the floor next to his dresser instead of in the laundry basket in our room. I refuse to put his clean clothes away for him (I don't do it for the kids) so I place it neatly folded next to his dresser where they sit. He throws his dirty clothes on top of them, tosses stuff all over our tiny room, etc.
What do I do? He acts like a child so should I treat him like one of the kids? He's 33 and perfectly capable of picking up after himself. I'm ready to just grab everything and toss it in the basement.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I get so sick of nicely asking and talking about DH picking his crap up. So most of his stuff he leaves laying around i throw in a closet in the mud room. And i dont do it "nicely" either. I'm not raising a 30 year old kid, so if he cant figure out how to take care of his stuff, it's his problem if he cant find it or if jour 2 year old got into it, or if it's broken.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• put it on top of his side of the bed... that way he'll have to do SOMETHING with them before he can go to sleep. OR put it all in the shower before it's his turn... pile it all in his car, there's all SORTS of things you can do!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• LOL...DO IT...His dirty dishes ass well. get paper plates for you and the kids, if he dirties all the dishes...=)
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 11:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• As tempting as it is to treat them like the kids it isn't the only way, and really not at all the best way to deal with this. A lot of times men just don't realize that it bothers you. Try sitting down with him and explain how much this upsets you. And they are also very forgetful so try to remind him without nagging. Ask nicely and remember to thank him and let him know how much you appreciate it when he does pick up after himself. Treating him as a child or doing the other things above will just make him resentful and will just lead to arguing.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I am very strict with how our house looks & am a total neat freak. But at the same time I am very nice about it. My kids are 3 & 1/2 and are very good at picking up their toys so if they can clean up after themselves then so can he! I will usually ask him nicely once or twice & about 90% of the time he gets the hint and cleans up his stuff. If for some reason he doesn't, I get a box & put his stuff in it and put it on his side of the bed. That way it has to be taken care of before he goes to sleep.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well, he doesn't have "his side of the bed". He sleeps on the couch because he snores and we only have a twin bed where I sleep. Our room (really my room) is 9' X 12'. It's tiny and there is almost no room. It has the twin bed, 2 dressers and my desk. There is just a few feet to walk and it has to be kept picked up to move around in here. The laundry basket is in front of the closet door (I have to move it to get into the closet). It's not like it's far to walk to put dirty clothes in it. And by chance he does go near the basket he ALWAYS tosses his clothes on the floor next to the basket instead of in it.
    And I have talked to him, repeatedly. He says I'm the one with the problem with the mess so I should clean it yet at the same time screams at the kids for making messes and demands they clean it up.
    Frankly he's just lazy and doesn't want to pick up after himself. I'm so freaking tired of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband use to do the same thing..leave clothes, tools and his favorite cup all over the house. I was tried of it and started to hide it from him. He would come home and ask honey have you seen...and I would say nope but where did you lay it at? He would say such and such place, I'll tell him to look there and he would look...not finding it. He look around the house,screaming and yelling asking me to help him look (I refuse to). I sit back and said well if you put it where it belongs you would know where it was. I, myself know where my stuff is at because I put myself and my child stuff away. He would ask me to do it and I told him he was a grown man he is more then capable of doing it himself. I am not his mother nor he is no longer a child. But he gives up about an hour of looking for it the nexts day I lay it in plain view where he had it and he would come home and had a question look on his face.About 2 months of this
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 12:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• he finally had enough and started to put things away. I know it is childish of me to do but at the time I did not know what to do. I mean my house is very organized and everything is label. You can come in my house and find anything and everything. It is a live in home, you can make yourself comfortable, and relax here. But for my husband he knows that he will not find it if it is laid out. My son knows mom will donated if it is out the third. So both of them knows mommy does not play and will take action..for mom is not a slave to any of them at all. It was how I was raised and it is how I will raise this family too.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 12:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i would and have thrown his stuff away or hidden it when he asks for it i tell him i don't know i'm not your mother guess u should have put it away
    Anonymous

• It sounds like youre having a sibling rivalry with your husband instead of a loving marriage. Stop treating him like a child you even said well I dont do it for the kids so Im not going to for him. Well he isnt your kid he is the man you loved and married it is going to kill you to pick his stuff up? I doubt it. I bet he is out working so he can pay bills and help to support his family. Just remember there is always other women out there who would love to do that for him and if you are a nag he will willingly go.
    Anonymous