My Dear Pagan Sisters...

How do you make sure your children don't grow up with the same anti-witch ideas that everyone else seems to have. Every movie, story, TV show or even song with a witch in it makes them out to be old, ugly and evil. So, how do you keep your kids from absorbing that message?

I ask this because my sister bought my kids "The Sword in the Stone" and gave it to them yesterday. I put it on for them - I loved it as a kid and collect Disney movies... When I was watching it I saw the way they shown not only as some ugly old lady but as plain crazy! - This is not the view of Witches I want my kids to have! But it's everywhere.

My DH and I do not agree on much religiously but we do agree that it's a personal thing and shouldn't be taught. So neither religion is being taught or shown to the kids. They can find their own when they are older... But what do I do about this?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ok i am not pagan, but i respect your religion. and maybe im wrong here, but in the wizard of oz, isnt glenda the good witch or something, it s been years since ive seen that movie, but yo ucan say, there are good ones and bad ones, jsut like in the movie.... and kinda go from there. jsut like there are good and bad of everything.

i dont know if tha tmakes sense to you or not, its just a thought that came to mind. Good Luck
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I completely understand your concern because the maligning of Witches, Witchcraft, Paganism, etc is so across the board in our culture. But, I grew up with all of that influence in shows and movies too, & grew up JW, *witch* I know you already know all about LOL, and I still had an affintinty to all things on the Pagan path and an innate understanding that there is nothing wrong with it and is beautiful. Considering your not teaching your kids anything religious I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think being taguth outright that something is bad or wrong would have more of an effect than just being exposed to "media" witches. Making sure they see positive images of witches may help keep some balance :)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You can't make sure they don't grow up with that belief...they'll grow up to be their own person and believe in their own things. I would just say to be open with them and let them know how you feel about the subject.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• RhiannonHunt ~ thank you. And you are correct Glenda is a good witch. As are a handful of others. ~ The ladies on Charmed, Good Willow from Buffy, Samantha from BeWitched ~ But a handful of good witches against 500 evil green skined ones doesnt' exactly tip the scales. Chances are 90% of the witches they see will be negative protraials. Tha's really my big fear.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sorry, that came accross as a bitch responce - I didn't mean it that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• LOL.. i didnt take it that way. That was much kinder then some can be. Sorry I couldnt help more. I guess Ive never really noticed how many there are out there, it is kinda unfair! I would go with the other ladies on this and jsut be open with the kids, and say that moveise make them out to be bad, when really they arent!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think it will just have to come as the questions come. My boys are still young but as they grow and those things become areas of interest we will address them.
    We will point out the difference between Hollywood witches and reality. Its really the only way I can think of to make sure they have the correct vision in their heads.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I talk to my children a lot about pretend things. I dont want them thinking that everything on TV is real. Some things are real. Some things are just for pretend. Any TV witches would fall under that category.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The sword in the stone is one of my absolute favorites. I suppose I took on that issue in 2 ways. First of all I sought out movies, books, etc. that portrayed witches in a good light, to go along with this whenever something would be said (negative or positive) about modern witches we talked about how, as humans, they could be basically benevolent or malevolent & their role as witch did not determine that. Secondly, I pointed out the differene between fictional witches & real witches. When she was old enough to examine literature on a comparative level we talked about the roles stock characters played; what the wicked witch represented, what the white knight represented, etc. I never censored at all for my daughter so she saw many different views of the "witch", I think it helped her understand why some people had a negative idea of what a witch was in real life.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Teach them about the Crone

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009