Overweight baby at 27wks?

Ok so I went for an ultrasound on the 17th, and the doctor told me that my baby was bigger then normal. At 26 wks she weighed 2lbs 2oz the weight of 28wks.THATS 7 OZSOVERWEIGHT!. Im just wondering, should I be worried? will I be able to go full term at this rate? When my husband was born we was 10lb 2oz. I was a little smaller at 81/2 lbs.And I'm just a little nervous of the whole "giving birth" thing, even more now that she's a big baby! So all I wanted to know has any1 else had experience with this problem.

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't be too concerned about it, their measurements are often off.

They told me my baby would be around 10lbs, and she was born at 8lbs 5oz.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well, this happened to me, my son measured two weeks ahead and that's because a LOT of doctors go by the LMP instead of the ultrasound. Either way due dates are never right, and guess who dictates that crap? Insurance companies, not the doctors! My husband was 9 lbs 9 oz and I was 9 lbs 12 oz when we were born, my son was 10.5 and they told me he would be 8 1/2lbs which was totally off. Don't worry about the measurements, but I would estimate an average between you and your hubby--and assume as long as you don't have GD (I am prety sure I did) that you will probably have a baby that is at least as big as you were and hopefully smaller than hubby was. But I wouldn't freak until you get closer to full term!
    NewMom2RAD

Answer by NewMom2RAD at 12:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Don't fthink of your baby as being overweight. Babies come in all different sizes, full term average healthy babies can be anywhere from 5 to 11 lbs. or even more sometimes. Just because they calculate an average doesn't mean that a normal baby should weigh that much, your baby just happens to be above that average. As far as being worried about giving birth, just try not to worry. Although I personally always wish for smaller babies (and don't get them), I've always heard that it is no easier or less painful to give birth to a small one rather than a big one. If the baby is really too big for you then you will get a c-section, but that is unlikely. Right now your baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead, so maybe your baby will be born 2 weeks early (which is still considered full term) and be "average" sized. Or maybe it will be born later and be bigger. I wouldn't worry about being able to go full term.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• MY BABY WAS 2 LBS 6OZS AT 25 WEEKS, I ALSO HAD GESTATION DIABETES SO I WAS VERY WORRIED HE WOULD BE 10LBS, BUT I HAD HIM 3 WEEKS EARLY AND HE WEIGHED 6LBS 11 OZS
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't worry, I'm was 27 weeks at my last ultra sound and they said my son already weighed 5lbs 3 oz. (I was measuring 33 weeks)  I am just assuming there wrong, but even if there right, just means I have a big baby! chunky babies are CUTE

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Ultrasounds are not always accurate! IMO, it's not worth worrying over, especially if you are not showing any complications.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• at 28 wks my baby girl was measuring 3lbs 1oz!! .. right now i am 37wks .. when i had a level 3 ultrasound at a specialist at 36wks & 5days she was already 8lbs 1oz! .. which normal at 36wks is 6lbs!! .. so thats 2lbs OVER!! .
    MalachisMommy06

Answer by MalachisMommy06 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009