my son was born 2 months preemie. when is it ok to give skim milk?

he is on whole milk now. has been since age 1.

Asked by greatmomto2 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I would say it depends on his growth and what the pediatrician has to say.

Answer by MadWidow at 10:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I would talk to the pediatrician about this one. I'm fairly sure the rule is the same as with any child and milk...that they can have whole milk from ages 1-2 and after that they should switch to 2% or skim.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree w pp.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• it is good to leave your child on whole milk til at least 2 yrs. old. mine are 6 and 7 and i still give them whole milk. ask your pediatrician to be sure.

Answer by lilmommy81 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• They should drink whole or 2% until age 2... but talk to your doctor. Maybe everyone could compromise and you could all drink 1%... OR they even make 1/2 % milk at some stores!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I'd have to agree with everyone here. My pediatrician said at our 12 month check up that we can begin switching over to whole milk now. They advised to mix half formula and half milk for a few days and gradually decrease the formula.

Answer by sastina at 1:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son was a 10 week preemie and is 7 months old now. I started giving him 2% milk instead of formula 2 weeks ago. His pediatrician said after 2 years I can switch to whatever milk I like, but I would talk to your doc to be sure =)

Answer by Luckistarr4 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My boys switched to skim milk at age 2...check with your doctor

Answer by momwillandturn at 12:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2008