Did anyone hear it like this?

I only watched a couple of minutes of Obamas infomercial but what I heard sent shivers down my spine. A woman recalled a story about her 100 yr old mom and the fact that a Dr told her she needed a pacemaker before he could treat somethng or another. Well the other Dr. said it wasn't worth it and refused to do it. Well the lady ended up videoing her mom and showing how active and spirited she was. This aided in the decision to give her the surgery. Her mom is now 105. The question was on the order of would there be provisions for situations like this ? Obama went round and round and basically said he didn't think so and in his way of saying something while saying nothing way said that they would have to be deciding who gets what and if it is worth spending money on someone to save money.
OK that scares me. There are so many reasons this is wrong.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Scorpio-- NOPE! His grandmother was well taken care of!

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/obamas-grandmother-and-end-of-life-care-choices/

Obama explained that his grandmother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, apparently in September 2008, and told she could last anywhere from three to nine months, ....  Then two or three weeks later, in mid-October, she had a stroke, which caused her to fall and break her hip.

“Because of the weakness of your heart, if you have an operation on your hip there are certain risks that — you know, your heart can’t take it. On the other hand, if you just sit there with your hip like this, you’re just going to waste away and your quality of life will be terrible.”

“And she elected to get the hip replacement,”...

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• see my post below! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• He said that being spirited doesn't play any role when it comes to science and doctors who are the ones to decide. You did hear it right.
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 12:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• in his way of saying something while saying nothing way said that they would have to be deciding who gets what and if it is worth spending money on someone to save money.

What the heck are you even talking about?
    Anonymous

• And before giving his argument he was trying or he said that he wants to meet the older lady or so...
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 12:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I wonder if it was his mother in law he would say sorry no surgery you are too old?
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm sure private insurance companies never turn down anyone. Ever.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• What the heck are you even talking about?

Comparative effectiveness. A decidedly evil idea where everyone's health decisions are made based on trends and consensus amongst the scientific community (whichever part of that community will save the plan administrators the most money, that is). The idea is if scientists say pacemakers will save more money than not having pacemakers, they'll allow the surgery for anyone, but if scientists say pacemakers cost more money in the long run, nobody gets one. It's being fought tooth and nail by one of the few congressmen who has an actual medical degree, unlike the rest of the idiots up there writing medical policy with no idea beyond what the copay is for their Viagra.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

Private insurance companies don't control the money going into the hospitals.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I watched the whole thing. A lot of double-talk, and he admitted they really don't have a plan in effect. If they don't have a plan in effect, how the heck can he predict how much it will cost? And yet, that is exactly what he did.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009