Do you think us as mothers just need to be more confident in our decisions that regard our kids?

I think with all breast-feeding, nip, ff and abortion debates. Yes we may all agree or disagree. But the number one thing is that we need to be more confident as a person to know the choices we make are the best ones. Who cares what others think about those choices?

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Certainly every mother wants to be educated when they make decisions about child rearing. The key is to get the info, determine what fits you and your life and go with it. To get drawn into debates over who is doing it "right" is completely counter productive and can be incredibly damaging. Motherhood comes with enough built in guilt without other mothers monkey stomping you for the decision you have made.

No one knows all the circumstances of another individual's life so they have no right to determine that that person is doing something wrong.
    Shmop

Answer by Shmop at 3:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think women today need to start relying on their own instinct instead of believing all the stupid books out there. And coming to a message board for medical and legal advice? Insane.

It's like too many have forgotten how to think for themselves.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree. I think debates like that tend to cause a lot of insecurity in moms around here. Everyone is so afraid of damaging their kids in some form or fashion... you have to go with your gut and not let the "activists" sway you.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think that the mothers who don't learn about childcare, discipline, nutrition, etc., and trust their instincts are the ones who put sodapop in the baby bottles. There is a very good reason why 50% of American children are overfed, overweight and under nourished.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree totaly, though others (even the legal system) needs to also have more faith in mothers.
    Anonymous