Why is my 2 week old refusing to breast feed at times?

It's so annoying. He sometimes latches and stays on forever, and other times he just fights me and fights me and latches and unlatches over and over again! It is frustrating b/c I know he's hungry; he's rooting around all over the place. I have tried all the positions and different rooms so that he is not distracted. I need other things to do to get him to eat!

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are engorged it may be difficult for him to latch.
    If you have large or inverted nipples it may be difficult to latch.
    You may have an "over active let-down" which feeds him more than he can reasonable swallow (this usually resolves with time).

My son acted a lot like yours. He also was a bit tongue tied and I had large nipples; it took a couple of months for him to be big enough that it wasn't a problem.

I'd also read through the "Happiest Baby on the Block;" it talks about the "4th trimester" and how some babes need alot of what they had before birth: tight quarters (like with swaddling and baby wearing -Swaddle Me Blanket and Moby Wraps are great), motion (babywearing again) and a few other things I can't remember. I also used a nursing nest for nursing in bed; we both got more sleep.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If he's not eating, he's not hungry. He's probably just looking for comfort, and nursing can be very comforting, but if you're not hungry, adding more to your belly makes it hurt, which is NOT comforting.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Some times breasts gets full and hard, that’s why he can't latch on properly. You need to pump couple minutes and make them softer.
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 12:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• "I'd also read through the "Happiest Baby on the Block;" it talks about the "4th trimester" and how some babes need alot of what they had before birth: tight quarters (like with swaddling and baby wearing -Swaddle Me Blanket and Moby Wraps are great), motion (babywearing again) and a few other things I can't remember. I also used a nursing nest for nursing in bed; we both got more sleep. "

<3 that book. the 5 S's. Swaddling, Sucking, Swing, Side/Stomach, and Shushing.

On that note, have you tried a paci? He might just want to suck but not eat.
    But on the other hand my daughter is 4 months and still does that sometimes so I dont know lol
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My ds would never take to the pacifier (I begged, really). Though bf moms need to be aware of possible nipple confusion with pacifiers.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I loved The Happiest Baby on the Block. Saved me with my second son. I actually have 4-5 Swaddle-Me blankets. He's a bit small now to use them, so I just swaddle with a receiving blanket, but I will use them once he is a bit larger. I have been using tthe 5 S's method, but this is when he is "due" to eat. I pump if I am engorged or at all hard b/c I know he can't latch. I don't have inverted nipples, for sure, just large areolas (good for BFing). I have thought about overactive letdown, but not sure if that is the case as I have taken measures to avoid this (pumping off a little to start let down then latching, feeding upright, etc).
    Perhaps he's just not hungry? Although, I find this odd after 3-4 hours of sleep for a newborn. I have been using the paci a bit, but he's still working on trying to keep it in his mouth. I am doing training with him, so hopefully that will work soon!
    Thanks for all your answers ladies.
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009