How do I get my stobborn step daughter to try new things to eat?

I have an 8 yr old who refuses to try new things..If I tell her just to try it and if she doesnt like it just spit it out, she just stares at me and then starts crying. It has been this way since I met her when she was 3. I dont understand it and it is driving me crazy!!! Any suggestions?

maglook

Asked by maglook at 12:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like that is the ways she is. Maybe 1 day she'll grow out of it. I have some picky kids too. That's why sometimes my menu can to me be boring. I'm trying to think of different recipes that my 10 year old will try. He does seem to be trying to get a little better. I used to be so picky. But now I'm 28 and I just don't like onions so maybe I am still a little picky. Patty414
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My kids are still young so i havent had to deal with that yet. but what about if you pick out a recipe with her, and then make it together. Im guessing she would be more willing to eat it if "she made it"
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Involve her in preparing the meal. She can help plan, shop, and preare some meals. At that age my daughter was more receptive to trying new foods when they looked cool or when she helped prepare them. I also bought several cookbooks with kid-friendly recipes with pictures. I had my daughter fully plan and prepare (with help at that age) one meal each week. Being involved in the process and being proud of what they have done can also make them more receptive to trying more grown up food choices. I think the main thing is you want to make it fun and not force the issue too much. You can also sneak veggies into things she does like if veggies are an issue (you won't even notice pureed carrots in marinara sauce). Other than that, make sure you have healthy food available and really limit the amount of junk food or treats that you have on hand - she will eat what's there if she gets hungry.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• thank you all for your suggestions :) I will do that, I actually have a couple of kid recipe book that she just might enjoy :)
    maglook

Answer by maglook at 12:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We have the three bite rule. Everyone tries three bites of dinner, if they don't like it, they may fix themselves peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast and take an apple.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009