was i out of line?

i got so sick and tired of my boys' room gettin so messy my DH and i would hound them to clean then we ended up cleaning it then not even 30 min they had toys every where. i went in today to put clothes away and couldnt even get to there closet so i put ALL of their toys in totes and then put them in my closest i plan on going thru them and throwing away any broken toys and told the boys they lost their toys until further notice. we shouldnt have to hound them to pick up after themselves and to not break their toys.....when it comes to clean up they say im tired or im bored.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I already did that with my 3 older kids for the same reason. They are 8, 7 and 6. They have only their beds, dressers and empty shelves in their room now and it's been that way for weeks.
    I told my 3yo if she doesn't start keeping her room picked up I was taking all her stuff, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't think you were out of line at all. Why should they have privileges when they can't be responsible? They'll learn.
    Anonymous

• Girl I understand all too well! My kids are the same way. I have 4 young children and they would let their rooms go forever if I'd let them. I make them clean it at least once a week. I try to explain to them if they would just clean their mess when done their would be no room to clean. One day they might understand. Sincerely, Patty414
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• No, that sounds fair to me.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It might have been a good idea to say, tomorrow I am going to take all toys that are not in their place and ....whatever you decided to do. This would give them a fair chance and also a clear statement of what and when. Having said that tomorrow I am going to take all toys on the floor, then definitely the threat, the statement of intent, must be carried through. And it seems completely fair. If they don't care enough about the toys to take care of them, then they obviously don't want the toys.

Answer by Bmat at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Depends, how old are they?
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• That sounds fair. I have done that-- if my kids really want their toys they will pick them up and put them away- otherwise it is 'the sack' for them.
    My dad used to do that--- if my sis and I did not clean up our toys in the basement he would get the big shop broom out and start sweeping them up.... and get the trash can ready to dump toys in! Boy did we hustle and start picking up!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My mom did that to me one time. I didn't have my Barbie dolls for 1 months, and then I got them back on "probabtion" ;-) I learned the hard way.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 4:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009